30. Closeness | قربت

His conscience had taken him directly to her doorsteps as he knocked on the door. His heart palpitating with paroxysm of emotions was hammering against its cage. He hadn't thought this through because he knew, if he did, he wouldn't be here. He just wanted to see her and go back. That's it.

As the door flew open, his eyes settled on the vision in front of him as the words stopped in his throat. What should he tell her he was here for? Coming here was a bad idea because the confused look on her face made him nervous. But now, the confusion insinuated to dread as fear swirled in her black orbs.

"You here? Oh, My God! Is Ayyan okay?" Her voice was ominous, filled with fright.

"Oh, yes. He is fine." He said when the drop of blood on the floor caught his attention and his eyes trailed to her hand.

"What the hell? How did this happen?" He walked inside and grabbed her hand. The blood still oozing out of it was an indication that the wound was fresh.

"Ugh! It's nothing." She flinched at his touch. "I was just cutting an apple and got carried away."

"Got carried away?" His smoldering eyes pierced through her nonchalant ones. "Come, sit here!" Maneuvering her inside, he made her sit on the couch.

"Trust me, sir, it's nothing." She reasoned but in vain.

"Where's the first aid box?" He acted as if he didn't even hear her.

"I'm telling you na. It's nothing. I can manage."

Oh, how could she not manage it on her own? Wounds and bruises were her fate after all. She was used to it. Nothing new. Nothing out of norm.

"Never mind. I'll find it myself." Restlessly, he pulled out one drawer after another.

Safa shook her head. "It's in that one." She pointed with her forefinger.

Following the direction, he scooped the box out and within seconds, flopped in front of her.

Taking the cotton out, he wiped the blood away. "This is so irresponsible. I can't with you, Ms. Hayat! Can you please at least, for once, act like your age?" He convulsed his head in tsk while she stared at him in bafflement.

What's wrong with this man? Can't even spare his lectures while helping an injured person. I'm done!

She hissed as soon as the ointment made contact with her exposed skin, making him look up from his task.

"Sorry!" He bit his tongue as his countenance contorted into soft expressions with care in his eyes.

Was he actually worried for her?

She couldn't believe it.

This man was an enigma in true sense. An enigma she thought she could never fathom.

His next move was cautious, soothing, so as not to hurt her.

This was new. So out of the world for her. On the one hand, there was her husband who was supposed to protect her from the cruelty this world held. But instead, he chose to inflict it all on her. He wounded her. Bruised her. Beat her. Gave her scars for lifetime. And then, there was Azlan Shehryar, who wasn't even related to her in anyway but was still getting all worked up on such a small wound. A wound which was nothing in front of the ones tattooed on her body.

"That's it. You're coming with me, now. This is so irresponsible of you. I'm not gonna let you stay here and keep acting like a brat." He said as he carefully wrapped the bandage around her hand.

"Now, come-" he looked up and found her gaze embedded on him already. Now, it was his time to get carried away.

It was serene. The moment when words lost all their meaning and only silent exchange of eyes crooned the avalanche of pent up emotions. The moment when birds quietly settled in their nests while the entire universe conspired in trying to tie two broken souls together. The moment when mountains took a bow for what was to come and sky flapped its wings to wipe away the past of the two shattered nomads so that the after-rain sun could color it with eternal glory that future held.

"Ahm!" He cleared his throat and she abruptly looked away, her eyes wiggling anywhere but him.

"Now, come'n!" He stood up.

"What? Where?"

"First to an ENT specialist. Then, my house."

Rolling her eyes at the jibe, she stood up, too. "Look, sir. I know you're a philanthropist. But I very much know how to take care of myself."

"Yeah, I can see that." He snorted with a scornful look as he eyed her hand.

"Are you calling me weak?" She raised her eyebrow.

"No. I'm calling you irresponsible!"

The same harsh tone!

"Then keep your opinions to yourself. I'm not coming with you." She fumed up. She couldn't believe him. One minute he'd act as if there was no one more caring than him. And then, the very next, would ruin it with his derisive remarks.

"You know what?" She seethed.

"What?"

"You'll do good being Satan's PA!"

"I don't work under anyone. I can be the Satan itself." A smirk evident on his face.

It was just then when his phone chimed to life and he picked it up.

"Azlan, where are you? Come home, quickly!" The feverish voice of Sameena boomed from the other side and the sudden fear on his face alerted Safa.

"Why? What happened? Is everything alright?" He asked, hastily as he moved towards the door and Safa went behind him.

"It's Raina. She had an anxiety attack." She divulged, her voice bubbled with sobs, and a loud gasp escaped Azlan's lips. "Your dad's not home and it's raining cats and dogs. I do not know what to do."

"Alright, just stay with her. I'm coming. Just try to maintain your cool, okay? You can do that! Yes, you can!"

She nodded from the other side as if he could see her. Cutting the call, he grabbed the handle of the door when Safa asked him what happened.

"I'm coming with you, too." She announced as soon as he told her.

A slight nod was his only answer, his bloodshed eyes telling the tale of turmoil brewing up inside him. She had never seen him more petrified in life.

******