37. Probably | شاید

Kindly, Vote and Comment!

"When will you be back?"

Ayyan's somber voice screamed of sadness.

Safa's heart sank as she adjusted the pillow behind his head and he leaned in to it. It'd been eons since she had come to Islamabad. One day trip back to the village was much needed, both for herself and her students who had been nagging Asmara about her and their friend. So in a way it had become kind of mandatory for her to go and assure them about Ayyan's progress. Not to mention the urge to finally meet and hug her best friend.

"I'm going just for one day. I promise, I'll be back soon!"

She pecked his ashen cheek.

"Double promise?"

He pouted, his button nose flaring.

"Double promise, my love!"

She grinned as she pinched his nose.

Getting up she had just turned around, when his strong fist held her finger in its cocoon. She turned around and her eyes dilated on his marred face cascaded with stream of tears coming in full force.

"Ya Allah, Ayyan! What happened?"

Her breaths hitched as they lodged into her throat and her heartbeat could be heard from miles away.

"I'm gonna miss you!"

He rubbed his eyes with the back of his small fists.

What was going on? Why was he behaving this way? Even when Safa was on the verge of breaking down when she came to know about his condition, he was the one who told her to be strong. Then, what changed now? Now, when he was getting better?

"Now now, if you're gonna act like that, I won't go."

She rubbed his back as she consoled him.

"No. You should go." He drawled as he pulled away. "It's just that I'm really thankful for everything you're doing for me."

She peered at him with calculating gaze as she held his face with both her hands.

"You don't have to thank me for anything, okay?"

He nodded and she dropped a fleeting kiss on his forehead.

After spending half of her day with him when she walked out of that door, her heart thudded brutally against her chest. She felt weak on her knees. Not being able to fathom what it was, she shrugged the thoughts off. It was nothing. Probably.

******

Propped on the couch, Arham surfed through his phone as he waited for Asmara. He was here to collect some important papers about the school building that Azlan had asked Asmara to keep safe before going back.

As the flavor of the chewing gum wore off, he stood up to spit it in the bin. Walking inside the kitchen, he put his foot on the dustbin stand and as the lid flicked open, his eyes stung at the sight of the garlands lying there. Still fresh. Anger and hurt occupied him as his jaws hardened.