V-Look at me that way

Everytime Y/n felt like she'll finally have friends, they ask about her sister and they eventually leave her.

It's a natural cycle she would like to end.

-Middle school-

"Can I sit here?" Y/ns senior asked, he's been nice to her and has been helping her adjust.

"Sure.." She replied, continuing to eat her bento.

She usually sat alone during lunch.

That day, she got two onigiris. She looked over to her sister who had gotten five, sharing some with her friends.

It was pretty natural she'd only get two, she didn't have friends to share them with.

"Y/n-san." the boy said, looking at her.

"Y-yes?" She stuttered.

"We've been friends for a while and..."

Y/n stiffened, getting nervous at his words.

"Can you introduce me to your sister?" he asked with a polite smile while scratching his head.

"Alright..." she replied, quietly sighing in disappointment.

-Flashback end-

She didn't really have anyone who genuinely liked her because she was herself and not because of her sister.

So when Kuroo came into her life, she never wanted to let him go.

It felt as if he brought her out into the light, making her feel like she was normal unlike what her parents had told her.

She never cared about the others' opinions before, but then she started caring about Kuroos.

Kuroo makes me feel different... and I'm not sure if I like it...

Maybe she was afraid. Afraid that it'll happen again...

The cycle.

...

Kuroo's birthday was approaching soon.

Y/n had decided to surprise him. She got on the train, putting a mask on.

The train wasn't very busy that day so she had plenty of space.

She brought him gifts and his favorite food, she even got a comb to give him as a joke.

Y/n got off the train and fixed her scarf, making sure she looked presentable.

Kuroo had told her his address, so she knew where to go.

"Uh.. excuse me.." she said politely, tapping the lady who was working on the desks shoulder.

"Yes?" the lady answered her.

"Is Kuroo Tetsuruo here?" Y/n asked, fidgeting with the loose string on her scarf.

"Are you a relative?" she asked.

"I'm his girlfriend..."

"Girlfriend? But I thought-" she mumbled quietly.

Y/n heard but decided not to pay attention.

The lady scanned Y/n's face and she didn't seem to be lying.

"He just went out to celebrate with S/n L/n. You look similar to her actually." the lady noticed.

"She's my sister, actually." she cringed on the inside when she heard herself admit to being related to her.

"Any idea where they went?" she asked.

"Hm, I remember them chatting about a restaurant."

"Ah, thank you." she thanked the lady, slightly bowing.

Y/n was about to walk out when the lady stopped her.

"Wait!"

"Should I tell them you stopped by?" she asked with a slightly concerned tone.

"No need." Y/n says before exiting.

She got in a cab and went to the mall that had Kuroo's favorite restaurant.

She decided to call him instead of surprising him directly.

Tetsu
Ringing...

"Tetsu." she said when he accepted the call.

"Oh. Hey, Y/n." he replied, the mall was probably crowded due to all the noise.

"Where are you?" she asked.

"I'm at the mall, eating with my friends. Y'know, celebrating." he answered.

Y/n saw him standing outside his favorite restaurant, holding his phone with a slight smile.

"Happy birthday, Tetsu." she said while looking at him from afar.

He started to mess up his hair while smiling, as if it can get any messier than that.

"Thank you, shortie." he said, emphasizing the nickname.

"Just because it's your birthday doesn't mean you can call me that." She said with a light smile.

"People are waiting for me inside, I gotta go." he said while Y/n watched him turn around to see his friends.

"Okay, bye. I lo-" she was talking but then suddenly heard a beep, the call ended.

Y/n sighed to herself while stuffing her phone inside of her coat pocket.

She decided to wait until Kuroo was alone to surprise him, she sat down at the cafe near the restaurant.

The girl watched him laugh with his friends and scratch his head, the way he would mess his hair up even more usually annoyed her, but right now, all she could think about was how she missed that mess.

A girl made her way to their table and sat next to Kuroo.

His friends must have said something embarrassing to him because he scratched his neck even more.

They sat awfully close next to each other, and she watched his friends give them teasing looks.

And it broke her heart.

After all, she was his girlfriend... No. She IS his girlfriend.

He laughed as if he was trying to explain something.

They faced each other for a second, giving Y/n a chance to see her face.

Her sister.

The ache in her heart began to grow, feeling like it was about to consume her whole.

It wasn't because of the fact that it was her sister sitting next to him.

It was the way Kuroo looked at her.

He never looked at her that way before.

...

Y/n decided to just go back to his building and leave the gifts there.

"Oh, you're here again." the lady said with concern, but it wasn't part of her job to be nosy so she stayed quiet.

"Can you please just leave this at his doorstep and tell him I sent it? Please don't tell him I came here." she asked politely while holding the gifts.

"A-alright." the lady stuttered.

Y/n made her way towards the exit but the lady stopped her again.

"Miss!" the lady shouted.

Silence filled the room for a couple of seconds.

"Take care." the lady said, standing while taking her package.

"Thank you." Y/n whispered under her breath.