Chapter Nineteen

The sun just barely reaches over the horizon as we walk. The grove is nicely lit at this hour, reflections of dewdrops on the leaves from the sunrise. We'd marched out to the tune of an instrumental version of New Years Day, followed by My Immortal. Both, in the keys in which they were played, could bring anyone to tears.

After all, it was a soldier's march. I've been given a broadsword I can barely use. We didn't have time to train, after what I'd seen. 

I've never been near that much blood in my life. It's scarred me over for good. There is no such thing as the 'spoils' of war. It's just death.

I'm here on my own accord. I'm unsure if I'll survive. I don't care. If I can save at least one person, I'll be eternally satisfied with myself. If there's one thing I regret, it's not helping more. 

I keep telling myself that as I step forward, middle of my cohort. Being smashed into a group of people isn't a very comfortable feeling, may I say. It's fucking lovely...

Clouds are moving in now. Don't ask why I'm actively paying attention to the sky, please.

Sierra is side-eyeing me, almost to say, "Chin up, you've got this", with only her eyes. I don't think she's too excited to go execute her mother for treason, but it's not like either of us have much a choice.

Today feels like a calm before the storm for me, to sum it all up.

The castle is in my view now, covered by a thin layer of fog and faraway, but still there. My mind drifts again to Sierra's childhood. What the hell went on then? Nothing good I'd guess.

I'm snapped back by the wind kicking up unusually. It comes and goes in slow pulses. It's warm. There's the smell of cinnamon.

There are two winds now. I think I know what's going on.

"Mornin 'eirra!"

It's exactly who I think it is.

" 'heard down the grapevine you needed a bit of assistance!"

Sierra is practically squealing right now. She's full-on ecstatic.

"Eddie?" I can see her do a double-take. "No fucking way... It's you!"

Eddie smiles, teeth and all, at us. "C'mon kiddo, you can't think I wouldn't be here to assist my favorite future leader?"

Eddie feels like that one cool and supportive aunt that we all have. It's the only way I could see her besides the very supportive mother.

Sierra pipes up in the deadly silence, "Eddie, you absolute angel. Thank you. I cannot say that enough."

She bows.

"Now, the real reason I showed up. You all aren't going to make it in a day. That castle has a mirage effect. In all reality, it takes days on foot. So, I brought the fleet with me. We're flying in. Get your metal-clad asses on."

Eddie loses the southern aunt's attitude and decides to become overprotective grandmama Eddie.

In a flash, there's a plethora of dragons in every color imaginable.  It looks like Sierra knows them all.

I glance at Sierra,  who's now arm in arm with Mari, "They really meant it... Didn't they..."

Dragons in my mind, are one of the few respectable creatures here. The gnomes scare me, I hate anything with fangs, angels are ok and that's only because of Oli...

I've snapped away from my thoughts for what I believe to be the seventh time this week.

Sierra's grabbing my wrist and pulling me aboard like it's the last lifeboat on the titanic. We've boarded a dark and light blue mixed dragon, who I've been told is named Trixie, a male water dragon.

He's got little tattoos on his face, and his scales are extremely soft. This guy definitely moisturizes. I'm also convinced that dragons have some sort of natural heating element because the two I've ridden have both been incredibly warm.

One nap and six hours on the back of a dragon later, Mari shakes me. 

"Wake your lazy ass up. We're at the edge of the forest." 

I incoherently mumble back to show my discontent with her actions.

She's not pleased with my responses.

I've suddenly been yanked off Trixie, now fully awake from nearly hitting the cold, hard forest rocks.

"Vi, this is what happens when you don't wake up."

Mari is back to being... well... Mari.

It takes me a quick second to gather myself and my weapons, but I manage to dismount, say goodbye to Trixie, and hop back in my cohort line in five minutes.

My heart is beating out of my chest. We're hardly a mile from the castle. A castle we're about to storm. Literally.

Every march forward I take becomes more and more agonizing. This cannot be over quick enough. Call me an anxious bitch, but if you were here, you would be too.

The holster at my side feels like it weighs more every second I have my hand coiled around it's leather grips.

The more we walk, the more my sense of dread lingers like a raincloud. Speaking of, it's started to drizzle, each drop hitting my helmet with a clink.

I say a silent prayer to myself. I don't even pray usually. I've never believed in a god. Now, the only thing I hope is that someone hears me, and decides to help me.

I'm shivering through the rain, remembering something Ashley said before our parting.

"We are the wild and running."

I know what he's quoting. It's one of those songs from my edgy phase. I can't say anything fits the bill more for right now, though.

The mist clears slightly as we get closer. Only a quarter mile before we're at the castle's edge.

In what feels like the time it takes for light to hit earth, I've arrived at the destination I despise most. Right at the castle's edge. 

Our cohort leader signals us forwards. The guards haven't come to their posts yet. We're told to draw what weapons we have.

I can hear the slow tune of a violin trailing behind. It's a tune I know. It makes sense, from where we're positioned.

The city entrance, which happens to also be at the castle wall. It's some subliminal message. One to rise to.  

I can make out some of it. It says to wake up. Free yourself from the reins of what the higher ups have said.

And with a single bound, the walls come crashing down.