Chapter four-The desert

Chapter Four

The desert

He sat waiting in the foyer. He seemed to be shouting in Arabic at someone on the phone. One could never be quite certain if he were shouting angrily or was it just that commanding tone again?

He noticed me approaching and abruptly stopped the call.

"Good morning! I trust you slept well?" He greeted me with a bright smile instantly adopting a more jovial tone.

I smiled back. "Actually, yes thanks. In the end anyway with a little help from the mini bar."

He looked slightly surprised at this admission. "I thought you weren't a drinker?"

"I'm not generally. Very, very, rarely do I have any alcohol at home. I'm more a one glass of wine a week girl and the occasional two shots if it's a night out. That's my level of naughtiness and non- existent capacity to hold my booze. However, on occasions like last night, two small drinks did the job. And I was most thankful to be honest. I really did need my sleep."

"Well, that's what's important then. As long as you haven't got a hangover and you're not feeling queasy. Dune bashing isn't gonna be much fun if you are." He winked.

I was glad he seemed in a lighter mood today. I was still slightly dreading our conversation which was stupid really given this entire encounter between us had been my idea.

The morning went well, better than I'd expected.

I shrieked like a teenage girl as we drove at top speed over the dunes. His Wrangler jeep was a monster. I loved every moment of it: The wind in my hair, the music playing on the radio. My body being tossed from side to side as the vehicle almost flew from one dune to another, dangerously teetering on the edge at times, leaving me breathless with fear and anticipation.

"You want to go to the desert camp where the tourists go? It's pretty lame but it's funny. I think with your humor you'll appreciate it. I know the guy who runs it. We can just turn up." I agreed, content to keep the moment flowing.

It was as kitsch and amusing as he'd promised. We sat cross legged on floor cushions, sharing large juicy dates and drinking strong, sickly sweet tea. We were served an array of local delicacies. He offered me the shisha pipe which I declined. He sat smoking, staring thoughtfully at the tourists around us. A belly dancer was keeping the crowd entertained. The pulsating music and sensual moves of her voluptuous body transfixed the audience, particularly the male spectators.

I already knew by the expression on his face and body language that his mood was shifting into a state of introspection.

"It's kind of weird really, this curiosity we all possess, this curiosity of each other. How we travel to observe how others live, behave, eat, or entertain themselves. You know that child -like curiosity that most of us lose. Being a tourist is a bit like reconnecting with that inner child. Even some of the silly idiotic behavior."

He laughed drily as a blonde, red- faced male tourist clambered on the stage and attempted to gyrate with the belly dancer. He was sweating profusely in the desert heat despite the temperature gradually lowering. His partner was shrieking with delight, photographing the spectacle. He shook his head wryly. "Whatever floats your boat."

I smiled at his English. "You know you are pretty funny at times. You can tell you lived in the UK for a few years. Apart from your English being incredibly good, you've picked up some amusing expressions."

"Thank you for the compliment." He nodded. "Have you enjoyed the day? Was it a good enough distraction from the apocalypse that awaits?" I momentarily felt my mood slump.