Chapter Nine-Nothing Is What It Seems

Chapter nine

Nothing is what it seems

I fell into a deep Whiskey induced sleep. My dreams were vivid and confusing, distant voices, a bright shining light as I if were in an interrogation room...

"I swear I don't know anything! Let my family go!" I shouted in panic.

"Mum! Stop! It's okay, you're here with me in the hotel room. It was just a dream." Effie was shaking me by the shoulders. I opened my eyes, disorientated and groggy.

My mouth felt horribly dry, parched. "Water, please." She put a glass in my hands, and I drank gratefully.

I stretched and let out a deep sigh of relief. Thank God I was just dreaming! Or I pray it was 'just a dream' and not a premonition. Is anything 'just something' anymore?

"Just splash some cold water on your face, it will make you feel better. The dinner will be up in a moment. Don't worry, we'll be in London soon and things will get easier." She hugged me spontaneously and I hugged her tightly back. A part of me felt that she was right to an extent, being in a foreign land in times of trouble was not the easiest of situations and being back on home territory without a doubt would help...

But likewise, I knew it was just another step in a complex journey.

Just as I exited the bathroom, there was a knock on the door. It was Ronnie, balancing three trays rather precariously in both hands.

"Were you expecting the invisible waiter or the hologram barman?" He joked.

"Quick, take one of these trays, I'm about to drop it!" He passed it to me and looked at me curiously. "You look as bad as I feel!"

"Thanks for cheering me up. I don't just look crap, I feel crap and the Whiskey hasn't helped, I can tell you that now." I replied grumpily.

He followed me into the room. "Alright, Effie?" He greeted her.

She smiled back at him. "Yes thanks. Feeling a lot better since that call, now I know we can get out of here"

I shot him a warning look. I didn't want him to mention Shamsa or the fire or anything else right now. I still needed time to assimilate the onslaught of information myself. He intuitively understood and nodded in response.

We sat down at the small table.

Ronnie leaned back and let out a small wail of pain. "Ow! Shit that hurt, I forgot I had the bloody gun in my pocket." We both froze and watched wide eyed as he removed it and placed it on the table next to him. "Relax, it's not loaded! But I did bring it for a reason. Now I know part of the plan and that I'm travelling with you, there are some things that I need to explain to you both."

Neither of us moved, still momentarily unsure if it was safe to do so. Then I came to my senses. Remember, no fear. Remember Xantheus and Shamsa.

"It's okay Effie, he's ok. Let's just eat and you can tell us your story."

He was already eating, cramming as much food in his mouth as he possibly could whilst making small grunts of appreciation.

Effie and I ate in silence, it wasn't as much an uncomfortable silence more one of introspection, as we braced ourselves for yet another drama. Life had become so surreal I had almost no recollection of what had once been normal.

There were moments when I'd suddenly forget, maybe just brushing my hair, listening to a song and then...bang! Back to that feeling of being an observer on the outside, a player in a huge universal game or an actor in a Sci- Fi movie.