Nightmares

When Alex walked in she found Lena laying in the hospital bed, with her newly casted leg propped up on tower of pillows. Lena was enjoying the improvement in her sight, but Dr. Frazier told her that it was unlikely that it would improve anymore. She may have had a whole punched through her vision, but she was still able to see everything around that with increased clarity. Lena still used braille in order to read, and navigating her world was difficult, but by no means was it impossible.

     She could see enough to see that Alex was standing at the door. "Alex, did you find Kara?"

     Alex bent the truth, "Yeah she was just really tired from all the stress, she crashed at home." It wasn't a total lie. Alex turned her attention to Nia who was sitting in the corner, legs crossed up on the chair she was sitting in, "Nia can I talk to you a second." Brainy and Lena continued a conversation about particle physics and J'onn observed quietly from the corner, smiling ever so slightly.

    When the two women went out into the hall Nia spoke first. "What's wrong Alex?" She knew Alex well enough by now to know when something was wrong. 

    "Kara, is passed out wasted at home. She went to the bar, and had some kind of drink that can actually get her drunk."

   "Kara got drunk?" Her jaw dropped. 

    "Yeah, she got drunk once before but this was way worse, you should've seen her. She kissed some bartender. I need you to go to her loft and keep an eye on her, okay?"

    "Okay yeah, that's not like Kara at all. Of course I'll keep an eye on her." Nia walked away, pulling at her sleeves, making sure that all the scars and bruises were covered. She hated letting other people see them, letting them know what happened. No one should know what happened that day, but she had to live through it twice. Now she did the best she could to hide the fact that anything had changed at all. 

    Alex watched as she walked away, she watched as the girl who once stood proud cowered in the shadows, trying to hide from the light. She was worried about Nia, while Nia didn't blame Kara for what happened, it had taken more of a toll on her than she was willing to admit. Nia was not the kind of person to complain, Alex knew that Nia would continue to suffer until it broke her, either way there was nothing Alex could do about it right now. She turned back towards Lena's room.

    Lena was smiling, in the room, still continuing her conversation on particle physics with Brainy. Alex didn't tell her anything, instead she put a smile on her face and sat in the corner of the room. She looked at the scene in front of her. Lena sat in the bed with her newly casted leg propped up with some pillows. Her other leg was covered with a blanket, and she was dressed in a hospital gown. Lena's hair was pulled up into a messy ponytail, still much shorter than it used to be. She was looking at Brainy, who was sitting in one of those big blue hospital chairs.

    He had his image inducer on, as usual, so his skin was a pale pink contrasting with the blue material of the chair, and his hair a dark brown. He was sitting on the edge of his seat, elbows on his knees, as he debated with Lena over something even Alex couldn't understand. J'onn stood in the corner, arms folded across his chest. She wished Kara was here, sitting on the edge of Lena's bed, trying to follow the conversation, but needing extra explanation every time someone spoke. Kara was never willing to just let them ramble on.

    Back at Kara's loft Nia was going inside to find Kara passed out in her shower, how water still running.

    "Kara!" She called out as she saw her curled on the shower floor, blonde hair forming a halo around her head.

     Nia grabbed a towel out of the closet, and pulled her up while simultaneously wrapping the towel around her and turning off the water. "Kara, you need to wake up, I can't carry you on my own!" It had been 18 weeks since Lena was attacked, and everything had gone downhill since then. No only had Kara's life gone to hell, but the life of her friends and family as well. The hope that once lied in Kara's heart had long since left leaving a dark vacancy, and those who knew Kara well no longer recognized the person that she had become. This wasn't like her at all, she wasn't the kind of person that went around getting wasted and kissing strangers instead of dealing with her problems.