40

C A R T E R | three high seventh graders

When Sophia got back from her chat with Eloise her eyes were puffy and red from crying. I instantly panic. What did Eloise do? She could've threatened her again. 

She speed walks into the room and takes a seat next to me. "What happened?" I whisper but I get a whip of her hair in my face as she shakes her head. "Nothing."

"What did you guys talk about?" I question and her emerald eyes harden. "Nothing, it's fine."

Wait what did I do? Is she mad at me? If so, why?

"Sophia."

"Just leave it Carter." I know better than to press this issue more. I feel kind of bad for badgering her and decide to leave her alone for the rest of class. I can't help but worry about her current state. She fidgets with a silver ring on her index finger, not bothering to take notes on what we're doing. Her eyes look empty, like she's lost. That worries me even more.

The bell rings and everyone immediately rushes to get to lunch. "Carter can I speak to you for a moment?" Ms. Williamson announces just as Sophia leaves the room. Dammit I wanted to catch up with Sophia.

I internally groan before standing at her desk. "Ms. Williamson I know that I'm your favorite student but I have a girlfriend." I can't help but joke.

She however, does not find it funny. "Very funny Mr. Marquez. Have a seat." She deadpans, rolling her eyes at me.

"Carter I wanted to check in on your college situation." Fuck.

"I understand that you applied early admission to Columbia University." I only applied because Sophia convinced me. It was a long shot, I'm probably just going to end up at state school.

I just nod wondering where this is going exactly. "Yeah but I'm probably not going to get in." I say nonchalantly which makes her frown. "Carter you may not see it but your grades are exceptional, especially in my class. Your writing is a gift."

Wait what?

I must have said that out loud because she nods. "You may have turned it in late but that Romeo and Juliet essay was one of the best I've read all year. And those weekly passage poems are phenomenal."

She pulls out one in particular, Emeralds. I'm pretty sure I wrote that after I realized I was falling for Sophia. "This one is my favorite." She hesitates. "I'm assuming it's about a certain brunette that sits two feet away from you."

"Actually it's about my secret love affair with Hunter. You see no one can know about our secret love because our parents would disapprove, but when June rolls around we're going to run away to Italy and get married in a field of flowers."

She immediately scowls. "I'm trying to be serious here Carter."

I let out a long sigh, "Of course it's about Sophia, who else." I mutter but she picks up on it. I know she does because of the smile that spreads across her face when I say it.

"Back on topic, I have a friend in the Literature and Writing department down at Columbia. She said that you should keep an open mind about Columbia and their writing program. They were very impressed with your application."

This is news to me.

"Uh thanks, I guess."

"Carter, this is a good thing. Seriously, you have more skill than you think." She pats my shoulder and then excuses me to lunch. I make my way over to the table where our friends are.

I walk into what I think is Chloe arguing with Leo because he ate her Skittles? I think, but normally I never know what going on when they argue. The rest of the table is ignoring their banter as usual, they just keep talking to each other. Except Sophia has the same look on her face that she did in English as she mindlessly chews on her sandwich.