Chapter 1

"She was like a sister to us

"She was like a sister to us..."

"The future.

A dark, desolate world. A world of war, suffering, loss on both sides. Mutants, and the humans who dared to help them. Fighting an enemy, we cannot defeat

Are we destined down this path? Destined to destroy ourselves like so many species before us? Or can we evolve fast enough to change ourselves, change our fate?

Is the future truly set?"

֎֎֎֎

A jet flew just above the dark clouds that decorated the night sky, the moonlight reflecting on its metallic surface as it was making its way to a location unknown yet to its passengers. They only knew that they were heading towards the few allies that they had left since the beginning of this unfair war against the selfish humans and their machines.

Since that fateful day when Mystique killed Dr. Bolivar Trask in the seventies, the humans grew scared of what mutants were capable of doing, resorting to the creation of the Sentinels. Machines with the ability to adapt to any mutant power they faced, making it almost impossible to be defeated.

But even in those dark times they faced, some mutants didn't give up hope. Two, in particular, were the infamous Xavier twins, Ella and Charles, known to the world as Atom and Professor X.

Those two were the ones that believed more than anyone in the idea that there was still a chance to win, to turn everything back to as it used to be. They were a beam of hope to everyone. They had a plan, but it wasn't going to be easy. They wanted the help of an old student for it to work. That's where they were heading.

...

"So few of us left" Charles Xavier muttered as he opened his eyes and looked sideways. His twin sister was sitting next to him, a frown clear on her wrinkled face as she was thinking different possibilities of their plan going wrong. He exhaled tiredly and placed one of his hands on top of hers giving it a light squeeze as he tried to reassure her "It's going to work. I'm sure of it, stop worrying. It's your plan after all"

Ella closed her eyes and relaxed at her brother's touch "I know, but this is going to be our last chance. If something goes wrong..." the redhead looked at her brother, fear evident in her eyes. She has lost too much those past decades but she never stopped fighting for her kind, after all, if she wasn't going to do it then who would? But that was their last chance of winning this war and if they failed the hope of peace would die along with them.

"But what if nothing goes wrong? What if everything goes according to plan and we finally manage to end this war forever?" Charles told her. He was always the one who had more faith from the two, he always managed to make her believe again when she was doubting.