ch 20 - no time like 2am

"I don't get it." Tanaka began to complain to me as I prepared for another float serve. "How is it that he, the coldest, stingiest, saltiest one of them all, is the first and only one out of the whole team to get a girlfriend?"

Our attention is drawn to Tsukishima as he goes to approach his girlfriend, (l/n), as she waited for practice to finish.

I counter, "Well Hinata and Kageyama-"

"Yams, they don't count. They're...." There is the sound of a spike being hit. Then the sound of a setter yelling angrily, "I don't even know what's going on with them."

"True."

"It's unfair." Tanaka mudders as he trugges off to continue practice.

I look back over to Tsukki and (l/n), chatting in the doorway. Tsukki points back to the court and turns to get back to practice. (l/n) continues to wait.

They are different now. It hasn't been long, but they fit so well together it feels like they've been together for years, not a couple of months. But there has been a shift, a change. Small and unnoticed by the typical person.

It's weird now. They have spent a good amount of time so infatuated with each other, seeing in only tunnel vision, now that has all shifted. It's coming from both sides.

That short amount of time that I saw Tsukishima acting so different towards her, so warm and welcoming, I thought that it was her doing. That (l/n) has changed Tsukishima. Rather, she blinded him. The obsession of (l/n) and finding her and being with her was so intense to the point where it blinded Tsukki from who he was.

He's realized this too. He realized that he's falling head first and forgot the parachute. That was the point where he retreated to become his old self once again. Both for better and for worse. Mostly worse. Slowly pulling away like a tide pulling out. He's using the same excuse he has once used in volleyball.

And now she is panicking. She's noticed the retreating Tsukishima, but hasn't thought to question why he is. Instead she's quickly blaming it on herself without a second thought. Being confused by her own panic, she is trying to mend something that she hasn't broken. Taking two steps forward for each step he's taking back. I don't fully blame her. He once doted on her and now he is, without a reason that she knows, has mostly stopped. She is trying to one-sidedly fill a gap, one she can't fix on her own. But she hasn't stopped to ask why he seems to be drawing back.

They still see each other. They still hang out every weekend. They still show up with colourful and bruised arms. They still belong together. They are just different now. Good? Bad? I can't make that call. But we'll see. I hope for the best.

After practice, Tsukki takes off. First one out of the gym, first one out of the change room. He's rushing, whether he notices that he is or not.

On days when (l/n) visits, Tsukki rushes. I find it awfully sweet. Even with what he's going through, once she is here, he will spend all his time with her.

So, on days when (l/n) visits, I walk home on my own.

I pull out my keys as I approach the door to my house, then I stop.

I simply sigh and put away my keys when I hear the echoes of yelling coming from behind the door. I turn around and head to Tsukki's house.

"Say, are Kei and (l/n) ok?" Mrs. Tsukishima asks as she puts a warm cup of tea in front of me, she has one for herself too. The two in question are not here, probably took a detour at the park or at the convenience store.

"I don't know, I think Tsukki is using the same excuse that he once kept him from loving volleyball."

"Ah, so he's afraid. Afraid of getting hurt."