ch14 - wait

I woke up before my alarm. A rarity that never happens. The cause of this anomaly was from how restless I am. This restlessness has caused me to get very little sleep. Why am I restless? (l/n), that's why. we've only been apart for a few days. We keep in contact as often as we can (between her art clubs and my volleyball practice, it's not often). But I can't find peace anymore, I'm often anxious and left in a constant anticipation. I'm still looking for her everywhere I turn, aching to see her once more. We weren't meant to be apart. It's even harder to be apart after we've found each other. Will I ever admit this to myself? No. I should be fine on my own. But is anyone ever fine when they are so painfully obviously missing apart of themselves?

I'm exhausted. I barely even notice the person infront of me until I bump into them.

"So sorry, excuse me." A small first year, hands full of stuff he's trying to keep balanced in his arms, apologizes for bumping into me.

"It's alright, I wasn't paying attention to where I was going." I muster up an apology, I was my fault anyways. 

"You ok? You seem very out of it today." Yamaguchi, who was waking with me to our volleyball practice, turns to me with a concerned expression. 

"I'm good, just tired." I groggily say. 

"Ok, then." A disbelieving tone hinted in his voice. After a moment of silence a gasp of realization comes from Yamaguchi. "Wait, what if he is your soulmate," he begins referring to the kid who I had just bumped into. "It looked like he was carrying art supplies!"

"No." I simply say.

"What?" He seemed confused at my reaction.

"It's not him."

"How are your so confident that it's not him? How do you know?" Yamaguchi questions.

"Oh!" I guess I never told him yet. I stop and pull out my phone. Yamaguchi stops too and curiously watches me. I pass him my phone, it has the picture that (l/n) took of us from the time we hung out during the training camp on the screen. He takes the device, still confused on why I'm showing him this. "I know that boy is not my soulmate because she is." I point to (l/n) in the photo.

"Oh, OH!" I take my phone back as Yamaguchi seemed to pause in surprise or shock or confusion.  One of the three or all. "Wow! That's amazing Tsukki! I can't believe you found your soulmate, and in your first year of high school! You must be so lucky. You'll have to tell me all about her." He continues by bombarding me with a number of questions about her and how we met. Looking at the photo and filling my best friend in with what had happened, a familiar heavy feeling takes over me. The same feeling I got when I first boarded the bus leaving the training camp. It's a heavy and dreary feeling but at the same time I felt missing and incomplete. Gosh, this was worse than the empty feeling plaguing me from the time before I met (l/n). 

"Oh, and you'll never guess what else happened!" We were met with an overly excited Hinata dragging in the attention of everyone in the gym. He was sharing some kind of story, probably about the training camp he crashed, as we did our warm up stretches.

"You got in a fight?" Tanaka guesses.

"Nope."

"You got to practice with Ushijima?" Kageyama took a guess, branding his usual scowl towards the shrimp.

"No, not really."

"You got a girlfriend?" Noya pipes in, mostly joking.

"No, I've already got Kageyama. But you were close. It wasn't me who got a girl," My head whips in his direction, a full don't-you-even-dare look on my face. I really didn't want that attention right now. The midget ether didn't see my message, was to dumb to comprehend the message or straight up ignored me. "It was Tsukki."

All heads turn to my direction. An array of confusion, surprise and grins fills each of the members faces. My glare directed at Hinata grows nastier. He was unphased by this, there wasn't even an apologetic look from him. Yup, he's ignoring me. I tune out the many questions of who's and what's and how's from the other members. There was a lot of how's. 

"Tsukki found his soulmate." Yamaguchi fills them in.

Noya lets out a dramatic gasp. "Tsukki has a girlfriend!"

"She's not my girlfriend." I correct.

"What really? Why not?" Hinata asked, prying into business that clearly wasn't his. 

"We just want to be friends." I give a simple answer, I don't need to go into detail. 

Daichi adds on, "Soulmates can also be good friends, they aren't always in a romantic relationship. But enough of this, lets get to practice." 

I never though of it that way. But Daichi was right. There was something that I wasn't comfortable with in knowing that. Good friends, is that what I really wanted? Is that where this is going? Something deep inside of me didn't want that. Telling me that 'friends' would never be enough. Then it grew and overwhelmed me. No matter how much I refuses to acknowledge it, I knew it was still there. Dread pooled in the depths of my stomach. It was quickly drained away with a simple reminder, a spoken promise. 'we'll wait for each other.' Being friends was only momentary. We will wait until we're ready. 

The thing is, I might be ready far sooner than anticipated. This wait has begun to grow painful.