ch8 - lost?

"Um, excuse me." A very lost stranger approaches me, probably going to ask for directions. But I have my headphones on, so definitely didn't hear them. Who even tries to talk to someone with headphones on in the first place?

"Excuse me, hello." This girl apparently.

I can no longer ignore her and she taps on my shoulder and tries to get my attention a third time. "Hello, I need some help."

Clearly. I sigh and take off my headphones and look at the lost girl.

"Hmm? Is this little kitten lost?"

She clearly didn't expect that tease from me. Her face shows shock and then it quickly turns to frustration, but those expressions where only shown for a second as she composes herself once again with a forced smile.

"I need to find," She pauses and looks at the writing on the envelope in her gloved hands, "Ittetsu Takeda, this is for him."

"He should still be here, in the faculty office." I inform her.

"Where is that? I've never been here before."

Obviously. "In the west wing of the building, third floor, down the hall on the right, second room on the left." I list off the information for her.

"Ah, thanks." She gives a small bow and turns toward the building, only taking about two steps before stopping in her tracks. She turns back to me with an embarrassed smile. "Um..."

"You're kidding me." I roll my eyes. Rather than repeating myself I'll just show her the way. Walking past her, I begin my route to the staff room.

"Thank you." She follows closely behind. After a few minutes of navigating the halls of the rather empty school, she decides to break the beautiful silence with an attempt at small talk, "So, do you play volleyball? I noticed your club jacket."

"Ya, I do."

"Cool. What position do you pl-"

"We're here." I cut her off, stopping in front of the door.

"Oh! Thank you-" She waits for me to finish her sentence with my name. Instead I head back to exit the building, giving her a short wave of dismissal.

"There you are Tsukki." Yamaguchi approaches me as I exit the school. "I though you left without me."

"No, just had to help someone find Takeda-Sensei." I say as we leave the school campus.

"Who was it?"

"I don't know, I've never seen her before. She definitely doesn't go here."

Yamaguchi gasps a little. "Could she be your soulmate!?" Ever since he found out I have been looking for my soulmate, he's been playing a blind guessing game of 'are they the one'. Asking with each person I come is contact with 'Is that them?'

"No, I don't think it was her." Of course I don't know how to even tell if someone is my soulmate. Do you just suddenly know it's them when you meet? Is there a gut feeling? Does the world suddenly light up and time freeze like in movies? or do I have to go around putting a pen mark on everyone and see if it shows up on me too? I think it'll be the gut feeling thing.

"Think about it, out of everyone leaving the school, she ran into you. You had to show her the way. It's fate." He says in a dreamy voice. Turning to face me, with a concerned face, he insists, "You have to go back! Find her, she must the one."

"Shut up, it's not fate. There's not such thing. Just coincidence."

I didn't know how wrong I was, and how right my best friend had been.

I pull a fresh shirt over my head. Smoothing out the cloth I notice the absence of paint on my hands. Actually, the absence of everything. No paint, no pencil smudges, no ink markings, no quick notes about homework. I quickly ruin the emptiness with a note.

Wow, your hands are actually clean for once. I didn't know that was possible.

An almost instant reply.

My mom made me clean up, she's convinced I'll die from ink poisoning.

She's probably not wrong though.

I know, but I do art so I can't help if I die from doing what I love.

Well your not allowed to die unt-

(Until I find you.) I didn't write those works. I half too embarrassed and half didn't really what them to know I was still looking. We both agreed to stop. I didn't want them to feel like they needed to try too if I was trying. This was just me. Me wanting you.

Can you paint something new for me?

I change the subject to avoid them asking me to finish my sentence.

I don't have my paints with me rn. But I've got my pen.

Then I watch. I watch the lines form, each individual stroke connecting to create a whole. Light and thick lines, rough and smooth. Creating depths and detail.

My heart stopped.

The drawing was quickly finished. It was a moon. A million thoughts filled my head.

Why a moon? My name has 'moon' in it, so do they know my name? Do they know me? The sky is overcast there's no moon out, well maybe they can see the moon. That must of been where they got the inspiration.

I write to them and simple question.

Why a moon?

I don't know. Just a feeling? Do you not like it?

No it's perfect.

"What about me?" The small idiot asks Takeda-Sensei, after finding out Kageyama got invited to an all japan youth training camp. We've been taking various measurements today to update our records for the spring torment that we get to compete in. Just as we were finishing up Takeda-Sensei came in with the announcement of the training camp.

"This is all Japan we're talking about here," I tell shrimpy, "A-L-L J-A-P-A-N. Under 19 representatives. Do you even under stand what that means?"

"I GET IT, ALRIGHT?!" He angrily yells back at me. The others continue to go on about how surprised they are.

"Okay, listen up." Takeda-Sensei begins, grabbing our attention. "I have one more announcement. Overlapping that Japan training camp in early December will be and exclusive training camp held for all the promising first years of Miyagi Prefecture. I was contacted and informed by Anabata-Sensei from Jouzenji high school.

It's an initiative to raise the overall level of volleyball in the Miyagi Prefecture. This camp is open to only first years, but it can also be seen as an 'imitation youth training camp'

One member from Karasuno has received and invite." Sensei pauses. Hinata looks like he expects he's gonna be the one invited. "Tsukishima."

I am kinda shocked. I didn't think I'd be me. "Training....camp..." is all I could mutter out as others begin to complain or praise me. Honestly I'd rather not go. "With the spring interhigh right around the corner, I think I'm gonna pass this-"

"DO YOUR BEST TSUKISHIMA." Daichi yells over me. I shoot him a glare.

"Chances to train outside of the school are far and few, Tsukishima." Suga adds.

"We've sure been getting a lot of them though." I remark.

"Well that's settles then, I'll confirm that the two of you will be participating." Takeda-Sensei takes off not allowing me to make anymore arguments. I sigh. This will be fun...