CHAPTER 1 - ESCAPE

****Play the song as you read. Totally sets the mood for this story. Moving on by Asa.

Journal entry
Many are mad but few are roaming. Many are bound but few are locked up.

Mina's POV
I sat with my head leaning on the window of the Inter-city coach bus. I was tired but I couldn't sleep. I was hungry but I had traded most of my meals for bus tickets. I have been on the road for two days and a half, hopping from one bus to the other, trying to get as far away from LA as I could.

This was going to be my last bus ride because I had run out of money to pay my fare. I had no Idea where I was headed. I mean I knew the name of the town - Twinhills, atleast that's what the bus ticket said - but that was it. I had no idea what kind of town it was, what the economic conditions were or how safe it was. But the farther we traveled, the more relief I felt. I took a deep breath and felt my nerves calm a little. I closed my eyes but they fluttered open again as the memories of the past days came rushing through.

Looking out the window, I noticed the woods had begun to thin out and there was a lot of grassland...empty vast green grassland. This must be the beginning of a town...or a village. I hope it's a town. There will be more opportunities to stay hidden and make a few bucks here and there. I began to wonder how I'm going to survive. With no money, no home, no contact, only God knows how I'd make it. But I didn't want to think about that...there was no point carrying tomorrow's worries.

I left. I made it out. And for now, that's enough.

Not for long though. Reality kicked in. I'm tired, hungry, itchy and uncomfortable. I had been wandering for atleast two hours since I alighted from the bus at the bus station, which looked like a scene from a 1970s movie. I had expected to see ancient looking cottages and small modest houses around, but surprisingly, most of the houses were well built and modern. This could very well pass for a rich suburban neighborhood.

My stomach must have some kind of sixth sense or something because I soon found myself standing in front of a diner. The windows had pictures of steaming cups of coffee and pastries. My tired feet shuffled towards it without hesitation.

I heard a clanging of bells as I walked through the door of the diner. I breathed a sigh of relief seeing that it was almost empty. The smell of freshly baked pastries hit me so strong, it had me drooling. There was a middle-aged woman with red hair at the counter. She looked up at me and her eyebrows drew together, likely in question at my haggard-looking appearance. Feeling nervous and self-conscious, I gave her a quick wave and muttered a greeting, then slid into a chair by the table closest to the door.

5 minutes later, I was still sitting there throwing gazes at the pastries in the show glass. It was pure torture. But I didn't have enough money. I had rummaged through my back pack and only came up with $1.15 in change.

The red-haired lady kept shooting wary glances at me. She must know I have no money to buy.

'Well I may not have money but I am sure going to eat something' I thought stubbornly.

Talk about hunger-driven faith!

She went through a door probably leading to the kitchen and I eyed the pastries. Maybe I can grab one and run before she comes out.

I hesitated. I've never stolen anything before. The snack warmer housing the pastries opens up from the other side of the counter. I'd have to go around. What if I'm not fast enough and don't get out on time?

The red-haired woman came back.

'Chicken' My stomach accused with a growl. I ignored it.