CHAPTER 48 - A BROKEN HEART

Note: all journal entries in this book are Mina's

*****************************

Journal entry

Maybe he didn't mean to break my heart, but it doesn't make it hurt any less.

Luke's POV

"We need to talk Dad" I said as I barged into his office Friday morning. He hadn't come home last night. I had checked his library and bedroom, something I haven't done in probably a decade. He was not home. Probably whoring it away with his secretary.

He looked up at me from the newspaper he was reading with a smile, unfazed by my rude entrance. "you're on the paper, son. People are talking about you all the way to Merton and beyond" he tossed the paper on the table and proudly pointed a finger at it "look at that."

I was on the front page alright, but I wasn't interested in that. "we need to talk" I said.

"I know. This is the best time for the world to hear us. I already got a call from my buddy at the Times. They are going to feature you on the list of youngest CEOs in the country, which is good...really good. We need the exposure."

"Dad" I interrupted harshly. "We need to talk"

He got quiet and gestured to the seat before him. I took it.

"It's about the marriage contract' I began.

He stared at me blankly. 'What about it?"

"I want out." Damn it felt good to say those words out loud.

His brow furrowed slightly, and he cocked his head to one side, regarding me silently.

"what do I need to do to get out?" I asked. "There must be something we can do to make Edgar happy besides a marriage proposition. Just tell me, I'd do it".

He leaned back in his chair and regarded me. "Have you thought this over?"

I locked eyes with him. "I have"

"Then you've probably considered giving up Crenshaw? That's what it takes"

I looked at him in disbelief. He was nuts if he thought he could take Crenshaw from me. I just got it.

"You can't take Crenshaw from me" I said leaning forward. "I am CEO now."

"I announced you as the CEO but I'm still the owner. I own 60 percent of the shares of this company. I decide what happens" His voice was steely with that hardness that meant he did not want to be crossed.

"No. We decide" I said, my voice hardening as well. I was angry at his attempt to still wield so much power over me after everything.

We had a short staring match, grey eyes on grey eyes. Then he looked away and rubbed his eyes. At this moment, I hate that even our mannerisms are almost exactly alike.

"Six months. Maximum a year. Let's get the business deals we need. Once Edgar becomes mayor and signs the contracts then you can call of the engagement"

I scoffed. "If there will be an engagement. You're not listening, are you? I'm not doing it"

"It's going to be this fall" he said calmly "I had a chat with Edgar. We decided to speed things up"