CHAPTER 46 - SUPERSTAR

Journal entry

I wanted to give you something, but it seemed like all I had was my body. It felt too cheap, too used, of little value. Somehow, it just wasn't enough.

Mina's POV

Sunday

My second time in Merton and I'm not as mesmerized as I was the first time, but I still love it. I still love watching the pretty bright lights floating beneath me. Yeah, I went close to the edge of the balcony...all by myself. I'm grown!

We left Twinhills at first light. We wanted the whole day to ourselves, well if you count sleeping for several hours since we got here. Now we have half the day to ourselves.

I was just so tired. It was a busy week. Eve was consumed with preparations for the mayor's luncheon, so I and Matt had to handle so much at the diner. Luke hadn't come by all weekend because he said he was extremely busy at the office. I guess that explains him just waking up now.

I smiled at him as he approached me on the balcony. His smile back was captivating.

"Someone's getting quite daring" he said.

"A wise man once told me to look my fears in the eye" I responded with a giggle.

He came and stood behind me and we just looked at the moving traffic below for a while.

"Adam called you yet?"

I shook my head, no. "Do you think they gave up on the case?"

"No, they can never" he said as he rubbed my shoulders in a calming manner. "He'd call"

I nodded and leaned into him, enjoying the warmth from his body.

"I have good news" He said.

I angled my head and looked up at him wondering what it could be. He kept looking at me like he was waiting for me to say something.

"I'm not guessing" I said impatiently. "just tell me"

He laughed, then sobered up. "I'm CEO now"

My eyes widened and I turned around to face him. "whoa, you mean like CEO of Crenshaw industries?"

He shrugged. "Just in Twinhills though"

"Oh my God" I gasped and hugged him. "That is amazing. I'm so proud of you. You deserve that, after all the work you put in. Congratulations"

He smiled but it didn't exactly reach his eyes.

"Oh come on" I said nudging him a little. "stop being modest and act a little excited. We have to celebrate this"

He drew me closer. "You here with me, that's all the celebration I need"

I drew back and rolled my eyes. "I'm with you every weekend. I think that's pretty basic now."

"No moment with you is ever basic" he said, pulling me closer and I grinned so hard, I think my cheeks doubled in size.

"Seriously, we should celebrate" I pressed. "This is huge"