CHAPTER 32 - BAND-AID

Journal entry

Thoughts are created for expression. They're like little spirits set free when someone else hears about them. And they keep striving to be heard.

Mina's POV

"So...when are you telling your dad?" Luke asked as he typed away on his phone.

I know he wasn't really typing. He was just pretending to be nonchalant so I wouldn't shut down. Yesterday, when he brought up the question, I changed the subject and almost ended the conversation. I know he means well, but I'm not ready yet.

He'd said my coming clean was a necessary part for my healing process, and in this case also help keep my father safe. I know he's right. He had suggested going to the cops, but I didn't want to until I was sure papa is safe.  So why am I stalling now?

Yesterday after all the nice things Luke said to me, I felt strong. I was beginning to think that maybe I could come clean, explain everything and it will all be alright. Today I'm not so sure. Maybe I'm not ready to heal if it means transferring the pain I feel to papa and Tekena. That's all my telling them will achieve. It's not like the past can be changed. I just want them to be happy and safe, and not worry about me.

I pursed my lips and shrugged. "I don't know, maybe today, tomorrow. I'm looking for the right time."

He stopped fake-typing and looked me in the eye. "There's no perfect time Mina. You just have to come out and say it"

He stood up and began to wear his shirt. "It's like a bandaid. The easiest way to take it off is to just rip it. You can do this. You're stronger than you know"

I stood up too and eyed him as he dressed up, secretly wishing he'd stay longer. But it's Sunday and he has to go back to Merton. He spent the whole Saturday with me, only going home for a while in the afternoon and returning later in the evening. I called in sick and didn't go to work because Luke wouldn't let me. I wasn't lying after all he pointed out. I was sick, in my soul, and I deserved a day off.

"Remind me why you're not studying psychology in school. You seem to love giving me therapy sessions" I told him, feigning confusion.

He smirked. "Is it working?

I shrugged. "Well, maybe." I said, trying not to smile but failing.

He grinned broadly and held out his arms. "Come here"

I don't know how this boy got me blushing like a little girl so easily. I stepped into his embrace and enjoyed the feeling of his arms around me. I breathed in his scent and it was so comforting. Stay a little longer!

We stayed there for too short before he pulled away slightly and gave me a warning look. "Don't talk to strangers"

I laughed out loud. "My job kind of requires it."

He drew me in for a sweet lingering kiss and then stepped out. I took a deep breath to calm my racing nerves and my thumping heart. It's not my fault I stood staring at the door for the next two minutes, replaying that kiss over and over in my brain. It's kind of different today,....better.

I walked back to the room just as my phone dinged. Checking it, I saw it was a 'happy new week' message from Nengi. I rolled my eyes. Yes, it was Nigerian custom to wish friends and family a happy new month and sometimes a happy new week. The messages often came with prayers for success, joy, blessings etc. It's heartwarming when you feel it's genuine, but not when you know the person is only trying to butter you up, which Nengi has been doing for the past couple of days. I had assured her it's fine, it's not like being mad at her will help solve anything. But she's still acting like I need more buttering. Good thing I've never been the crusty kind.