⭒ INTERMISSION 04 - Stories of the Past, Myths of the Future ⭒

I finally was released from my pain as the needle entered my chest, and relaxed my entire body. How could I have been so stupid as to fall for her plan?

How could I have been so weak as to not fight back?

I opened my eyes, just to check if I still could. There was a white void, and not much else. I looked down at my body, and it was clean. Uninjured. How unusual.

I finally completed my survey of my surroundings, and saw a set of wooden doors. "Huh."

I stepped forward and reached my hand out for the doorknob. Before I grabbed it, it swung open.

Out leapt Kanesuki, who pulled me into a hug. "I'm so sorry." He sobbed.

I wasn't sure how to reply, and stood frozen. He looked up at me. "You don't have to say anything."

"Thank God for that." I mumbled. He laughed a little.

I wrapped my arms around him gently. It felt warm, tender. Everything a hug should be.

Our moment was cut short by shouting from inside the door. "Woah, what is Chiyo doing?!" Yelled a voice that was vaguely familiar to me.

Kanesuki grabbed my hand. "Come inside."

"What's inside?" I asked.

"You'll see."

Fukushi, Junpei, Hidemi, and Akimitsu all greeted me and shared their condolences for my death. I was a little surprised they all got on so well with each other.

As we watched the trial unfold on the large screen, it became clear that Otoha was much more a force for good in the game than we gave her credit for.

And we watched as Lada was whisked away for her execution. "Are you ready?" Kanesuki asked me.

"Ready for what?"

"Ready for Lada to get here."

I didn't watch her execution, I walked down the hall to the doors and waited for it to be over.

Once it was, I opened the doors before she had a chance to.

"Hello, Lada." I said.

She looked at me guiltily. "What is this place? What are we doing in same place? Why am I not in hell?"

"I don't know what this place is. I think it's the simulation's way of handling death."

"So we are not really dead..?" She said. "I didn't really kill you?"

"Regardless of wether this death is real or not, you did still try to kill me."

"Ah. I am sorry, it was-"

I held up a hand. "Don't worry about it. It's...water under the bridge."

"Really? That is good. Bring it in!" She bounded towards me for a hug.

"I really don't think-" She ignored my protests and lunged forwards, wrapping around me tightly. I felt a similar force from behind and realised that Kanesuki was also hugging me.

Maybe this purgatory won't be so much of a bad thing. It's better than hell, at least.

Chapter 04Idols and EnemiesComing Soon

Chapter 04
Idols and Enemies
Coming Soon.