chapter 14

Cato and I had been living off of the extra food I collected and a few left overs from the explosion. We where doing fine so far but we were starting to run out. There hadn't been any action and we didn't want to risk going back to the cornucopia. Like this a few uneventful and boring days followed. It wasn't until the 12th day, that I started getting fate into winning again. Cato was hunting and I was collecting water, soon we would have to rely on sponsors considering we didn't get trained to survive. We always assumed the supplies would be ours throughout the whole games. I was nearing the lake to collect water, drowning in my own thoughts when it happened. The announcement.

Caesars voice boomed through the entire arena,"Attention tributes, attention. The regulation requiring a single victor has been suspended. From now on there may be two victors crowned if they both originate from the same district. This wil be the only announcement." At first I didn't understand what he was saying. Regulation, single victor, suspended, two victors crowned, same district, only announcement. It didn't make any sense. Wait, two victors may be crowned! Cato. Then I hear him, he is shouting my name and I run towards his voice shouting him back his. 

Cato and I may both be crowned victors! Finally something good came into this world of hell. As I near his voice a thousand things race though my mind. Then I see him and everything stops, he is smiling like crazy and as he notices me he makes his way over. Quickly may I add, but when he's halfway I start making speed too. I end up jumping into his arms and embracing him while he holds me up while hugging back. Then he does the thing I should have suspected.

Cato kisses me right on the lips. Fireworks go off inside me and when my brain has caught up i'm already kissing him back. Then he stops and lets go of me reminding me that we are still in the arena and that we're careers.  After a few minutes I break the awkward silence and ask him if he found some food. He immediately responds with a cocky grin as he holds up a piece of meat. It's a rabbit I believe, and a plumb one. I give him a friendly bump and run off to start a fire to cook the meat. 

For the first time in the arena we have a cooked and proper meal seeing the other careers didn't care that much and Marvel has still not returned. I know he didn't make it and that he passed on the same day with that little girl from 11. It's just I can't believe he's gone,I didn't really like him, or hate him on that matter. Marvel was our first ally though, with Glimmer glammer bitch, but we don't talk about her anymore.

After enjoying our food Cato and I go to bed. We found a comfortable spot and I got a sleeping bag from my extra supplies. I did only leave one for my self though, so I have to share with Cato. Cato being so strong means he takes up a lot of room and we have to squeeze together. I actually don't find myself minding being up close to Cato and I can get a good look at him. He's actually really hot up close.  His dreamy blue eyes and his beautiful golden hair, he's just so cute. And don't even get me started on his muscles, he's really broad and when I lean in to him I instantly feel safe. Wait! I'm not falling for my district partner, Cato Hadley. Then again he is amazing and he doesn't seem to mind being up close to me either. I find him staring at me deep in his thoughts, he's wearing his trademark smirk that I love. That's how I fall asleep, leaning into Cato enjoying his smell and dreaming of his beautiful face. It's perfect, he's perfect.

But when I wake up i'm reminded that the life I live isn't perfect. Far from it even.