Chapter 1: Loner

"A cosmic explotion resonated when our eyes met

"A cosmic explotion resonated when our eyes met."

-----

When you feel inferior, you tend to underestimate yourself to the point where you cannot have a decent social interaction. Call it fortunate or unfortunate, but Chaeri didn't need to worry about social interactions. Why, you might ask.

Because she wasn't gifted with the ability to vocalise herself.

Yes, it was that disability which made her feel inferior — so much so, that her self-esteem was six feet under and her eyes didn't meet anyone else's — but she was secretly grateful.

She didn't like interacting with the toxicity she'd always been around. The bad-mouthing, the betrayals; the people in her school. She wasn't a fan of any.

Call her positive or high-spirited, but she was glad that no one meddled with her life when all she wanted was to be alone, and at peace.

But there's a difference between being alone and loneliness.

She wasn't a stranger to loneliness either.

Chaeri watched from the classroom's window as her fellow students laughed and chatted in the hallways, carefree and full of life. Of course, she'd chosen the seat next to the window for the times when she needed to zone out.

She watched in utter envy as a group of girls discussed about their love life and shared anecdotes. It wasn't the love life of those girls she was envious of; no, it was the fact that they had someone to share it with.

And even if she had someone, she couldn't easily share her feelings.

Well, she did have a younger brother: Yang Jeongin, two years younger than her, her refuge and her strength.

She loved him to no end; he made her feel included for as long as he could, and made her smile in the direst of situations.

He was all the love she had wanted. The love from her family; their parents had passed away a few years ago, and the two siblings had moved into the dorms of their school, while Jeongin worked tirelessly for hours while Chaeri felt guilty for being useless. She so wanted to contribute into their financial status.

That's where the problem lies: nobody wanted to hire a girl who couldn't speak.

So she averted her eyes from the window and continues doodling stars and constellations in her notebook. Because she was a loner.

And that's what the loners do.

If there was something interesting in her monotonous life, it was the fact that she absolutely adored stars and the space.

Often silently wishing upon them at late hours, she knew that they could hear the voice she never had.

Sometimes, she wondered what would voice would sound like. Maybe a little high pitched? Or very deep? She wanted a deep voice for reasons she didn't know.

And filling the entire page with stars, she looked at her wristwatch, and there was still time for the recess to be over.

She sighed, stretching her legs while sitting on the uncomfortable school chair, and cast another look at the window.

Before she could move her gaze away again, she noticed something. Rather, someone.

A new boy. And a handsome one at that.

His blonde hair were messily combed back, a few locks falling over his forehead. His small face had a sharp jawline, and his eyes were dreamy — at least that's what she could see from a distance, as the new boy clutched onto his bag's strap and nervously looked around.

She heard seemingly loud whispers arise in the hallway, and as the new boy seemed like a lost puppy, he looked around with an innocent flare in his eyes.

Chaeri watched him walk around cluelessly, staring at the students who gave him a curious gaze; as if they were watching a caged animal in a zoo.

She kept her eyes concentrated on him, and what she didn't know was that a person can feel a strong gaze on them.

So as he looked around, his eyes gazed over the crowd, and finally landed on the classrooms' windows.

And his eyes landed on her, staring right back at him.

(a/n: just a heads up, whenever the dialogues are written in bold, they are spoken in English. Otherwise, in regular font, they are being spoken in Korean.

sooo this was the first chapter! Did you like it? Tell me through the comments! Thank you for reading!

Written: 28 Feb, 2021)