Chapter 8

Natalie struggled to sleep that night, she may not have seen the man die. But she heard the gun shot. Only vaguely, but she heard it.

The memories of her mother kept her awake most of the night, allowing her to see each change of the sky. Her thoughts kept her awake, changing from memories, to thoughts she wished she never had. What if she could have saves her mum? Saved John? Was her father doing the right thing?

She watched everyone stir, and slowly wake up. They didn't seem as shaken up from last nights events as Natalie was. Suppose they never had a past like she did.

"Have you been awake all night?" Came Parker's deep voice from behind her. He may not have known her long, but he grew to care about her. He admired her.

"Suppose I have" Natalie shrugged, she barely had any emotion in her voice. Parker could tell she was upset, the tears glistened in her pain filled eyes. She had been through more then he had in life, he couldn't understand her pain.

In an attempt to comfort the girl, Parker crawled over beside her. His presence alone was enough for Natalie to break down beside him, throwing her arms around his neck in a tight hug. She needed this.

"It's okay Nat, it's okay.....you know we couldn't have saved him right" he told her in a calm, soothing voice. His hand came into contact with her head, patting it gently as she sobbed.

***

The journey home was long and tiring, yet it cheered up Natalie. Laughing and singing with Harriet and Sonya, annoyed Vince.

"How did it go" Mary smiled, her small figure walking over to the group. Her eyes counted the number of heads that came back, they never had any survivors. And they were missing one.

"Lawrence took the survivors, lost John on the way back" Vince replied. His voice harsh and emotionless. He seemed annoyed. Possibly grieving over the loss of his friend.

Natalie split from the rest of the group and decided to spend some time alone. She was still shaken up from last night, and knew it would be brought up throughout the day. She just couldn't handle it.

Her bed welcomed her with open arms as she lay down, grabbing the small, thin book from the table. The book wasn't very exciting, just a love story between two females in a world full of judgement. It was educational yet she had no other book to read.

It was mainly about two women in a large city, who were judged for falling in love. Natalie was slightly jealous of the book, living in a beautiful city, finding love. With the reality she lived in, Natalie believed none of that would ever be possible.

"Natalie you in there?" Came a voice from the door of her tent. It was a voice she knew all to well, the one that saved her life only days ago.

"Yeah come in" she replied sitting upright and placing the book back onto the table. The sound of footsteps against the dirt filled her ears as they grew closer.

Panning her eyes around she was met with the ocean blue ones of Parker. His hair slightly damp, hanging lazily over his eyes. Out of the whole of the right arm, Natalie thought he was the best looking. Mainly because the rest were older men.

"How you feeling?" He asked sitting at the foot of the bed. His facial expression told her he was concerned, and it was true. He was. He knew grief, all to well. Yet his story was unlike hers. No one could go through what she had.

"Better...just worried about the kids" she replied with a small, fake smile. She was better, that part was true. The whole statement was true. Except she left one part out, she was still thinking about John. If she hadn't pestered Vince to try and save the others, John may have still been there. Alive. She blamed her self.

"Hey, I know your missing your brother. I promise we will save him" Parker replied, a devious smirk creeping onto his lips. If he had to, he was willing to die to make Natalie happy. He's only ever seen her sad. He knew deep down, there was a beautiful smile, waiting to be seen. "No matter what."

Natalies brows furrowed at his response, she could practically hear the things he was thinking. He was going to do something bad, she knew it. But couldn't bring her self to pull away from him. The smell of gunpowder and Citrus fruit, filling her nose as she breathed.

Shortly after they pulled away, the pair joined the rest around the fire. Thankfully they weren't talking about John, which made Natalie feel more at ease as she sat with them.

Like one big happy family, Natalie danced around the fire with Sonya and Harriet. Laughing and having fun with each other. Mary and Vince dancing along with them.

In this moment, Natalie couldn't have wished for anything better. She never wanted anything to change. And she couldn't wait to welcome Aris into the family.

•••

Hey guys sorry I haven't been posting, I know you guys have been dying for me to update. I apologise, I haven't had any ideas lately. If you have any please let me know, it would be a great help!

- J