Chapter Seventeen

"I forgive you."

"Alexander!" I snap out of my thoughts and face Dardanos. "Are you okay son?"

"Yes. No. I don't know." I sigh rubbing my face. The last week has been a nightmare. I can't sleep. Every time I close my eyes I see her body lying there. Why would she say that. I didn't need her forgiveness did I? No

"It seems I should have listened to Alistair. You weren't ready for that mission." He says taking a seat in front of me.

"I did what I had to do. I've just been conflicting with Xerxes."

"Your wolf? What kind of conflict?" He asked looking curious.

I opened my mouth to tell him how Xerxes remembered everything from before I died but then stopped myself for some reason. Maybe it was instinct. But I could trust Dardanos couldn't I?

"He's just a little agitated about everything. I don't know why." I told him.

"Mhmm." He nodded watching me. I got the feeling he didn't believe that was all that was bothering me. But he didn't say anything about it.

"How's my father?" I asked trying to shift the subject. "Hailey was his mate after all. And I know losing your mate could push you off the deep end."

"Alistair is completely fine. After your mother left him for Logan I had severed their mating bond. It was the least I could do."

"You can sever a mate bond?"

"I'm a very old and very powerful demon Alexander. As old as the devil himself. I can create and destroy a mate bond much like your Moon goddess. If I wanted to I could link two souls together. They wouldn't be true mates but the bond would feel like it." He said.

"Have you done that before created a faux mate bond?" I asked curious.

"I wouldn't do that unless I needed to." He said. He didn't really answer my question.

"I don't see how you'd ever need to do that. That's a whole other level of deceit."

"I suppose it is. I guess you're lucky your mate bond is real then." He smiled taking a sip out of his glass.

"I guess I am."

"Goodnight Alexander. I have a lot of work to do."

I nodded my head and watched him walk away. I shouldn't have gone for that stupid mission. I was in my head too much. Doubting everything and everyone.

I couldn't even blame Xerxes because he had gone back into his hole. It was like those 2 years all over again.

I got up and made my way into my room here at Alistair's. I hadn't gone back home since I showed up here. I couldn't go back. At least that's how I felt.

As I layed in bed staring at the ceiling my mind went back to Melaine. I had seen her for the first time since I crawled out of that grave. Not in a dream like memory. Not in a picture. But her. She was standing right there.

I should have run to her right. She was my mate. I was an alpha. I felt the pull but it wasn't enough to make me forget everything and rush to her. That feeling made me uneasy. I didn't like the doubt that was sprouting in my mind.

It should be good that I have complete control over myself. That I don't let something like a mate bond completely take over and block out all else. But it's not good. Not completely. Because for wolves losing control to your bond is normal.

I tell myself it's because we never mated and I never marked her. But that should make the possessiveness even stronger. Because we're supposed to mate and mark our Mates. That urge should be there until it happens. It's there to ensure it happens. The way we feel thirsty when our bodies don't have enough water and are forced to drink. Hungry when we need food and are forced to eat. How starvation leads to madness, weakness, death.

Once you're old enough to find a mate most people set out to do just that when they're eighteen. And when they find them they don't go over a month before they're marked and mated. I've gone 11 years. That either a testament of my strength. Or an indication that something is very wrong.

...........

Sorry for the delay on updates. School is hard. University is a trap don't do it.

I would love to hear what theories this chapter has brewing in your heads😂