Chapter 10

Austin goes back up the stairs and Shade stays with me in the dimly lit hallway. 

"Thanks for coming," he says, "I wasn't sure what to do."

I nod, "No problem. He gets like that sometimes, we're working on it."

He bites his lip and looks me up and down before smirking, "Had to get all dolled up to come see me again?"

I blush and snap at him, "Absolutely not. I was sleeping over at Carly's and her and Sophie decided to use me as their personal dress up doll."

"Well, you certainly look...different." He grins. He looks me up and down again and lets out a single laugh, "Oh, and the black boots with the green dress."

He gives me a sarcastic okay hand gesture with a look on his face like he's trying not to laugh. 

I put my hands on my hips and scowl at him, "I was in a rush. I came as soon as you called, I just slipped on my shoes and got in the car."

He snickers and then we fall into a comfortable silence. 

"Why do you hate me?" I ask suddenly. I probably just ruined our playful conversation. 

He looks a little taken back by the question, then sighs, "I...I don't know," he pauses, "I don't know if I hate you or not. Am I annoyed by you? Yes. Do I find you to be completely irritating? Unexplainably so."

He says it in such a way that makes me smile, because he says it with the same tone of our usual banter. 

Then he looks at me intensely and his tone becomes more serious, "But...I can't stop thinking about you. At first, I thought it was because you hurt my ego and I was livid. Then I see you. How you act around everyone. Like you live for everyone else. You're so fucking amazing to your brother. Like he's your only priority. He loves you so much. It's not hard to see why.

"And ever since you stood up to me that first day and gave me a taste of my own poison, I haven't been able to get you out of my head. I keep thinking about how attractive I find you, and all the things I wish I could do to you. It's like, I just sleep around with girls, so I just need to get you out of my system or something."

I'm shocked into silence, and his own eyes widen slightly when he finishes, like he can't believe he actually said that out loud. I swallow. I don't even know what to say. Actions speak louder than words, right?

We stare into each others eyes for a few moments. He looks so goddamn handsome with the muted lights casting shadows over his features. 

Be bold, I tell myself. 

I take a quick breathe and lift my hands up to his face, cupping his cheeks and head. I look into his eyes before bringing my lips to his softly. 

He seems surprised, but then kisses me back. My heart flutters in my chest. It feels like all my insides are having a Just Dance 3 party.

I pull back, but only a few inches. Our foreheads are still close to each others, our breaths shared. 

I lick my lips and smile, looking up at him teasingly, "Out of your system?"

He chuckles, "Not even close."

He kisses me again, faster this time, more passionately. More sure. 

I've never kissed anyone before. This is my first kiss. Well, my first many kisses, really. Who would've thought I could be so bold. I surprise even myself sometimes.

I was always nervous for my first kiss. I thought I wouldn't know what to do, and it would end up being awkward, but this is far from. It's like instinct.