The Chunin exams p.2

"Madara-sama..." The baritone voice of Akatsuki's greatest spymaster said.

"... What is it Zetsu?" another voice with a less deeper note asked, though just as darkly, the burning red of the Sharingan shining through the eye hole of the figure's orange swirl mask.

Across from him, a Venus flytrap-like, half-white, half-black man hummed in thought as he phased out of the earth.

"It seems that during one of our patrols, we have encountered —" the white half began in a cheerful tone.

"— an anomaly." The black half continued.

The masked man hummed, intrigued. "Oh? How so?" he asked. The plant-like being wasn't dubbed their organization's greatest spy for no reason, and any information or discovery it had found out of place or suspicious were subject to immediate scrutiny and possible action.

"It seems that the Kyūbi Jinchuriki —"

"— has an older brother figure, a distant cousin."

"But according to our observations —"

"— he greatly resembles the Yondaime Hokage, and we have reason to believe that he is in fact —"

"— the Yondaime's son." The black half finished.

The masked man said nothing for a very long moment, but Zetsu could feel the man's rage bubbling through every single pore of his being.

"And how exactly," he began tersely, "is this possible? If I remember correctly, the Yondaime only had one child, not two. I was there when she was born."

How could he forget? After all, he had been the one who held her hostage against her own father, and then tried to kill her in the process. All of that mattered little to him, however, as do most things.

All that mattered was the plan.

"Apparently, by our guesses, the Yondaime's wife did not die as early as we predicted—"

"and managed to give birth to another brat — a twin — when the Kyūbi was extracted —"

"— and his existence was kept a tight lipped secret by the Sandaime Hokage..."

"Until now..." Madara concluded, narrowing his visible eye. "Even in death, you always find ways to meddle with my plans, Minato..."

This was surprising, and distressing news indeed.

Madara, or rather Tobi, frowned behind his mask. If the Yondaime had more than one child on that fateful night, it could potentially jeopardize their well laid plans. When he had heard that Kushina was pregnant, he had thought for sure she was carrying only one child — the girl.

He shook his head in dismissal.

Even if the existence of the boy was unexpected, it wouldn't affect the plan in the slightest. Besides, if they were to take into account every single irregularity that sprung up unannounced, they would be bogged down and delayed — something that they couldn't afford.

Turning to look at the plant-like man, Tobi leveled him with a hard gaze.

"No matter," he began, "we will proceed as planned. The existence of the boy won't change what has already been set into motion. Nothing will stand in my way — the Infinite Tsukuyomi Plan will be realized. Zetsu, ignore the Kyūbi Jinchuriki for now. I want you to scout out the other eight. Inform Pain and Konan to continue gathering our resources while you continue your search."