Chapter 4 - Moonlight

Rosetta's POV:

I suddenly awoke in the middle of the night. It seemed I had fallen asleep over my book and had missed dinner and supper. I sat up in my bed and carefully closed my book and laid it on the nightstand. The blanket had been pulled over me and I moved it. I could only guess that Maysa had done it.

A covered tray sat on a desk and I moved over to it quickly. My stomach growled as the scent of the meal hit me. I sat down and uncovered the still somewhat warm meal. I didn't care what it was, I ate it like a starved woman. I never in my life had missed a meal and I intended to make up for missing dinner.

The meal was quite good and served in English style so I found no difficulty in eating it. When I was finished, I walked over to my window and looked out. The moon was full and so beautiful. I smiled and pulled on my cloak.

Nothing could keep me from the moon and stars. I opened my door and ran down the halls. I quickly found my way out into the garden. My feet made no noise upon the soft grass and I was soon lost in the silver light as it struck the plants. The many-colored flowers was all grayed by the moonlight and shimmered a bit.

I pulled my cloak tighter around me and saw a bench which I immediately made for. I wanted to rest and watch the moon. I settled onto the bench and sighed slightly. Though Persia was warm in the day it was cool at night and the cool breeze cut my cheek.

As I basked in moonlight, I heard some movement and sound. Keeping the cloak wrapped around me, I followed the sound. I crouched down behind a bush and saw the Angel of Doom in clearing. He seemed to be testing something.

"Magic tricks." I whispered. Of course, I should have known he was something of a magician. I watched him for quite some time. His hands moved like lightning and I never saw how he made things disappear and reappear. 

Then he started to hum a pretty tune. I smiled and relaxed onto the damp sod, more than content to listen to him sing and test his magic tricks. Then he broke into song.

Pulse of passion, heart of truth

Soul of old, blood of youth

Strength that's born from pain's adrenaline

Summons out what lies within

The moon is high

The night is young

The voices cry

The song is sung

Blood and body are one

Smoke and darkness, gasp of air

Ecstasy, grim despair

Whispered voices speak from deep inside

Spilling truths too strong to hide

Burning silver, spark of gold

Blood is hot, sweat is cold

Shadows bend and shape to something new

Brought to light by what is true

Is it that things really change?

Or does the outside rearrange?

Is perception genuine?

Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?

Glistening muscle, heated breath

Love and hate, life and death

Will you dare at all to meet my eyes?

It's in there your own strength lies

I was frozen when he was done. That was magic. That was real breathing living magic. His voice was like a siren's. For the a moment I was under his spell but it soon disappeared. Suddenly, I couldn't stop myself.

I rose from my place and stepped silently into the clearing. I started to clap. It had been so beautiful that it had to be recognized. I couldn't leave without thanking him for singing so beautifully.

He had his back to me and when I started to clap, he spun to face me, his eyes burning deep into my soul. I could see the angry set in his jaw and I smiled at him.

"Angel of Doom, that was stunning. I wanted to thank you for it." He took a few steps toward me. I was soon realizing why the servants feared him. A voice like his could haunt for years. Eyes like his could piece the soul. Movements like his could hypnotize even the strongest. But I didn't fear him. Maybe it was foolhardy of me but he didn't strike fear but intrigue. I wanted to know him better.

He stopped and looked at me.

"Why were you hiding in the bushes? What would possess of girl of the day to be out at night?" I tilted my head and said,

"I do not understand you, Sir. What do you mean?" He chuckled dangerously and had I even slightly feared him I might have run, for it sounded dangerous and threatening. But I was unafraid. He took a step closer to me and said,

"Why are you here in the garden at dead of night? SHouldn't you be in bed?" The first thing that came to mind was a sharp comeback and naturally that was the first things that popped out of my mouth.

"I could ask you the same question." His eyes narrowed and deep down I realized I had made a very bad move. I didn't wish to anger him and I feared that it was I had done. A low growl came from his throat and he said,

"My reasons are none of your business. Yours on the other hand are my business." I glared at him and quickly snapped back,

"What I do my business. You have no part in it." I pointed finger at him and felt my ire rising. This man was getting under my skin a little bit. He chuckled again and sneered,

"What happens in this palace is my business. Take care to remember that." He growled once more and walked away.

I stood there for a moment, my hands shaking like a leaf. Then I felt something like regret in my heart. I shouldn't have been so harsh with him. He didn't deserve such harshness and snapping. Gathering my skirts, I ran after him. 

His form came into view soon after. Though he was moving silently and swiftly, I quickly caught up with him. I quickly shouted out,

"Angel!" I didn't wish to call him by his full name. After all, it was too long. He stopped and didn't even bother to look at me.

"Ms.Rosetta, I think you wish for you death." He then turned around to face me and grinned wickedly. "If you have a death wish then I grant such wishes." His voice was low and cold. It sent shivers up my spine as I said,

"I have no such wish. I came to apologize. You didn't deserve such harshness. I should have answered your question instead of snapping." He stared at her. The coldness gone from his face and danger gone from his stance. He seemed to be in shock.

I took a deep breath and said,

"I am fond of the moon. I was out enjoying its light. I heard you and couldn't contain my curiosity. I enjoyed the magic tricks very much." He took a step closer and his stance was once more tall and cold.

"You should not have watched. I don't like being watched."  I tried to smile and said,

"But, Sir, I enjoyed it so much. Forgive me for spying. Would it be wrong if I saw them again? Please, Sir, I enjoyed watching them so much." He looked me over and coldly said,

"You wish to go to the home of the devil and watch the magic he had twist?" I nodded. This man wasn't the devil but he could be as frightening. He laughed menacingly and said,

"Then follow me."