Chapter 26 - Harbringer

Author's Note:

The picture of the horse is Harbringer. Just as a trivia info 'harbringer' is another name for a raven or a bird of ill omen.

sarahlet2999

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rosetta's POV:

I looked out the window and saw the sun was coming up. Soon I would be on my way to find Erik. It had only been about twenty four hours but I missed him horribly. He added color to my life in a way I

The door opened behind me and I looked around to see Daroga walked in. He smiled at me and joined me at the window. He looked out and sighed.

"Well, in about an hour you will be on your way. It has to look like you ran away. Everything knows about your spirit and they would easily accept that." I nodded and said,

"True, they would." I didn't feel like talking. He smiled at me and said,

"Are you sure about this? I mean, you know who you are running away with?" I smiled and chuckled for a moment. I knew very well who I was running with.

"I do. Erik is a dangerous man but he wouldn't hurt me." Daroga laughed and took a seat in a chair that was by the window.

"No, he wouldn't. He worships the ground you walk on. You, I believe, are the first girl who has ever loved him. The first girl who has ever kissed him. To hurt you in any way would be to kill him." I looked at him and bit my lip. I knew he loved me but I didn't know he loved me that much. Never had I been loved like that.

I looked at my feet and then thought of something. If he loved me that much would we marry? I looked back up at Daroga and said,

"If he loves me that much do you think he would ask me for my hand?" Daroga looked up at me and sighed.

"Well, that all depends. I mean, if he gets up the courage, he might. But, he believes that you deserve more than him so he might not. I can't say either way. Then again, when Erik wants something or, dare I say, loves something, he will do anything to keep it near him. He loved money so he always had it near. He loved power so he always had power somewhere. He loves you and hasn't let you go." I bit my lip again and sat down. Ever since he had told me he loved me marriage had been on the back of my mind.

"I hope he does ask. Because I would." He smiled and we were silent for a whlie then he asked,

"Have you seen behind the mask?" I looked at him and shook my head.

"No, I haven't. I decided that I wouldn't until he was ready. I don't want to strain our relationship. I don't want to push him. Why do you ask?" He sighed and ran a hand through his dark hair.

"I just, just don't want you or Erik to get hurt. His face is a mess. Quite a mess. I have seen it many times before. I don't want you to scream when you see it. It would kill Erik from the inside out if he lost the woman he loved because of his face."

I was about to make a cliché answer when I realized he had a good point. I would always love him but I couldn't say anything about his face before I saw it. I would always love him though.

"You have a good point, Daroga. But no matter what he looks like, I will love him until my death. He can't help what he looked like." Daroga smiled and patted me gently on the back.

"He does deserve you. Many times I have wished him never to fall in love. But now he has and he isn't hurt by it. I have never seen him so human. He was always a dark form that wasn't quite human. More than human. But now, I see the man. The man who is madly in love." I blushed and saw that the light was enough for me to be on my way.

"Thank you, Daroga. Thank you for everything. I hope one day we might meet again on better terms." I held out my hand and he took it in a firm grip.

"Same to you. Maybe one day our paths will cross. By the back door, my servant is waiting with the horses. I trust you can ride astride?" I nodded.

"I wouldn't ride any other way. My father didn't care if I rode astride." He smiled and handed me a piece of paper. I opened it and found a well-drawn map. I looked at him and said,

"What is this for?" He pointed at a place on the map.

"My servant will lead you this far. It should take you about four hours. From here, follow the path you will be until you reach the sea coast. From, there turn north and ride until you get to the caves. Once you are there, call for Erik. He is hiding there. With his keen ears, he can't fail to hear you. The whole journey should take you about eight hours. I would send my servant the whole way but even though he is my most trusted, I don't trust him enough. Can you use a pistol?" I nodded. My heart was pounding but I was prepared to walk through hell to get back to Erik.

Daroga pulled out a pistol and handed it to me.

"This should keep you to some extent safe. I am giving you the horse. He is a fine mount, fast and sure. Take good care of him. He has a name but I would prefer you to rename him what you please. Now, it is time to leave." He quickly walked from the room and I followed.

We arrived at the back door and I was handed the reins to a fine black steed. He was tall with strong bones and a solid form. I patted his neck and swung aboard. He shifted slightly beneath my weight but seemed eager enough.

I leaned forward and whispered in his ear,
"What name do you want?" He tossed his head and I smiled. I had his name. "Harbringer. Do you like that?" He tossed his head again and I smiled again. Daroga walked up to my side and handed me a bag.

"Take this to Erik. This is some of the things from his rooms. Take care, Rosetta. Be careful. Take care of him." I nodded and took the bag from him. With a final wave, I and the servant rode off.

It was a long journey but Harbringer was up to the task. He was a strong horse and still going strong with the servant's horse was failing.

After the servant turned back, the ride was much more lonely. But I managed well enough. Within a matter of a few hours, I reached the caves. They were quite extensive so I shouted out,

"ERIK!" My voice echoed several times but there was no response. I waited for a moment and shouted again,

"ERIK!" Again there was no response. I fought down the gnawing feeling in my gut. I kept calling for several more minutes but got no response. I dismounted Harbringer and broke down in tears. Erik wasn't to be found.