Chapter 33 - Forever and Ever

Rosetta's POV:

I ran my hands over Harbringer's nose and sighed. Today was a major change in my life. By tonight, I would be Erik's wife. This was my wedding day and I was scared. Oh, I loved Erik and always would but it was still a major step in my life. This had all been happening so soon.

Three days ago, I had been still looking for Erik and now we were about to be married. I laid my head on Harbringer's neck and sighed. Suddenly, a pair of hands were laid gently on my shoulders.

"You don't have to, Rose, if you don't want to. I can understand if you wouldn't want to go through with it." Erik massaged my shoulders gently. I turned around and looked at him in surprise. Of course I wanted to marry him.

I carefully removed his mask and said,

"Why wouldn't I want to marry you? I love you, Erik. You are the best thing that ever happened to me." He held me close to him and whispered,

"Who would want me for a husband? This thing that isn't even human. This mad monster."  He stroked my hair and kissed my cheek lightly. I held him close to me and whispered,

"You aren't a monster. You are a man and I love you. I love this face." I pulled away enough to run my hands over the place where his nose should have been. "You're so beautiful that you are called a monster because no one understands. People fear what they do not understand." He leaned down and kissed me. 

"I will never understand you, my beautiful rose. I am ugly not beautiful. You are the lovely one. What did I ever do to deserve you?" He kissed me again and helped me up onto Harbringer. "If you really want me for a husband than shall we go find that minister?" I nodded and he mounted his white mare in one smooth movement.

"Then let us ride." I grinned and we headed away from the Opera Populaire stables. It was a long hour's ride through Paris and out into the French countryside. People gave us strange looks but I ignored them. Nothing matter except getting to the minister who would marry us.

Erik turned his horse up a small gravel driveway and we soon arrived at a small parsonage. It was a quaint little place and I saw the church off to one side of the driveway.

Erik dismounted his horse and walked up to the door. I took the mare's reins and waited as the door opened. My hands shook as the minister's wife looked Erik over.

"How can I help you, Monsieur?" Erik firmly said,

"I am here to speak with the minister. Is he available?" The woman nodded.

"I shall be right back." She disappeared and Erik walked over to help me down. I jumped into his arms just as the minister walked out. He stared at us and said,

"Sir, how may we help you?" Erik smiled and held out his hand.

"My name is Erik and this is my fiancee Rosetta. We would like to get married if that isn't a problem." The minister seemed surprised at Erik's statement but quickly shook his hand and said,

"No, that isn't a problem. May I ask why you are here to ask it of me? I am Protestant." Erik smiled faintly.

"Rosetta is Protestant and though I was born Catholic I wish to have nothing to do with them." The minister smiled and said kindly,

"Then, allow me to fetch my wife and we shall start the ceremony. I don't often get this pleasure." He ran in and returned with the same woman who had greeted Erik at the door. She smiled this time and we all walked over to the chapel.

He ushered us down the aisle and said,

"Now, I assume you want this to be somewhat short and to the point?" Erik nodded.