Chapter 5 - The Violin

Author's Note:

Dear Readers,

The last song which the Angel of Doom sang is called Blood and Passion by Heather Alexander. Hope you are enjoying my story!!!!!!!! Please tell me if there are too many flashbacks. I would love your input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sarahlet2999

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rosetta's POV:

As we walked down darkened halls I began to wonder what I had gotten myself into. This man might very well kill me if I wasn't careful and he might be planning to do just that. I could read nothing other than cold indifference in his manners and a heartlessness in his voice. No wonder people feared him. Nothing would sway him.

I took keen delight in knowing that I managed to get something out of him that no one else had. Shock. He had been shocked that I had apologized.

I was jolted from my thinking as he said,

"Here we are. Ladies first." He hissed out the word "ladies" but I just smiled at him and walked through the dark wood door. He followed me and closed it behind me. It boomed shut and I shook slightly with the ominous noise.

I looked around the dark room and could see nothing. Suddenly many candles burst into flame. I looked at him and he smiled slightly. I then set myself to looking around his rooms. There was a large desk with many papers and drawings standing in the corner of the room. An massive organ was in the middle. Some music was sitting on the stand. A violin rested on a table.

I resisted the urge to run my hands over it. It brought back so many memories. I closed my eyes as one in particular flooded back to me.

I ran into the music room and Mother was tuning her violin. I ran over to her and said,

"Mother, play me something. Please!" She laughed and said,

"Of course, darling. What do you want me to play?" I thought about it for a moment and said,

"How about your own composition? Please, Mother, I love it so much." She smiled slightly and placed the violin under her chin. She winked before placing the bow to the strings and beginning to play a piece she called "Faerie  Queen." When she was about halfway through the door opened and Father walked in. He didn't look happy.

Mother lowered her violin and he shouted,

"I thought I told you not to play that piece! I told you not to compose. Hand me the violin." Mother shook her head and held the instrument to her chest. Mother was bold and strong but I saw fear in her eyes as Father spoke.

He stepped forward and ripped the instrument from her hands and smashed it over a table edge. Mother's eyes filled with tears and he growled,

"That is for disobeying me,  woman." The moment he walked out Mother and I dropped to the floor to pick up the pieces of the ruined violin. I looked at Mother and she smiled slightly and said,

"It seems I was not meant to play. I can live without my violin." Her eyes lost the light they had had when she was playing and it never came back. She fell ill some weeks later and never rose from her sick bed.

I shuddered as I came back to reality. The Angel of Doom was looking at me rather curiously. I giggled nervously and said,

"A memory of my childhood." He didn't say anything but walked over to his organ and sat down on the bench. I plopped down on the carpeted floor and crossed my legs. His eyes were once more cold and cruel. I smiled and kept my eyes off the violin as much as possible. I didn't want to relive those memories again.

Angel of Doom watched me for a while before saying,

"You are a unique girl, Ms. Rosetta. Now, please tell me why you came here with me." His voice, though still musical, was cold as ice and quite hostile. I sighed and said,

"You interest me. I would like to get to know you better." He laughed but it was an evil laugh. There was no mirth in it.

"Get to know me better? Surely you can do that much safer by talking to the servants any one else here in the palace. Oh, they will tell you all you will ever know about me. There is no reason for you to risk you life with me." I stared at him and said,

"Would you kill me?" He looked me over and stood up. He took one step towards me and said,

"Don't push me, girl. I am capable of much.  I might just kill you. You annoy me." I laughed and said,

"Well, I can't help that, Sir. I will try to be quiet though." He glared and took his seat once more at his organ. Turning his back to me, he started to compose something. He was on purpose ignoring me. That was fine. I wanted to look around. 

I looked over his desk and found blueprints of the Shah's new palace. I watched him as he wrote down notes and tested them on the organ. But the call of that violin was becoming too strong. When I thought he had his back turned towards me, I walked over to the violin.

Another memory came rushing back as I looked down at it.

I walked into the drawing room and saw my mother standing by a box. A big smile was on her face as she began to pull the wrapping away.

I hurried over to her and said,

"Mother, what is that?" She smiled as she drew out an instrument I couldn't name.

"Darling, this is a violin. What do you think? Isn't it beautiful?" I nodded and reached for it. She carefully handed it to me and I cradled the instrument.

When I plucked a string, I flinched back at the sound. Mother laughed and took it from my hands. She tuned it carefully and started to play. The most beautiful music I had ever heard came from it as she moved with the music.

I closed my eyes and swayed to it. Mother finished the piece and said,

"How did you like that, Rosetta?" I smiled and said,

"It is very beautiful. Play more, Mother." She laughed and played for the rest of the afternoon.

I smiled at the memory. Mother had been a expert at the violin. Suddenly the pull became too strong and I did the most stupid thing I have ever done.

I reached out and touched it.