24

CLARKSON WAS VERY MUCH alive. Hell, Ella didn't know why she was surprised, a part of her doubted the man could die. Alex practically had a heart attack, remaining frozen as Clarkson let his ankle go. He got to his feet with a groan, rubbing his forehead as he looked around, grabbing the icepack from the floor. Will was watching him wide-eyed, Isis had taken a step back, only Levi nodding at him like he hadn't just casually discussed his murder.

"Who threw this?" Clarkson frowned.

"Why are you assuming someone threw it?" Ella said.

In response Clarkson raised his eyebrow. "Did it fly at my head itself?"

Ella was about to continue until Clarkson would let it go when Isis spoke up, her voice clear.

"It was me," she said, scraping her throat," sorry, I guess. I didn't mean to hit you."

Clarkson's gaze flicked to Isis for the first time then, seeming to only notice now the bruises on her skin. His expression faded into something softer as he shook his head, tapping against his head.

"It's fine because it's me," he said," don't throw this at other teachers, alright? They might actually die."

Isis' eyes widened in surprise at the lack of a scolding, but before she could say something Clarkson continued.

"Is it alright if we talk after class, Isis?"

"About my punishment?" she said.

"No," he said," I'm not going to punish you." As soon as the realization dawned on her face, Clarkson changed the subject, a frown on his face as he turned to the boys. "By the way, if you all thought I was dead, why was no one grieving, you scoundrels?"

"I was still processing it, sir," Alex said, finally seeming to have gotten over his shock as he placed a hand on his heart," the thought of having no one to pester at St Joseph was a dark one for me."

"The thought of St Joseph itself is dark," Levi muttered.

"I am glad you're alive," Will beamed," you're my favorite teacher."

"I better be," Clarkson huffed," now come on, back to class."

He walked ahead, Will and Alex close behind, but Levi remained with her and Isis for a moment. His gaze flicked between the two of them, like he was assessing if they would jump each other after he left. When he concluded they wouldn't he walked over to Ella, reaching out his hand to her. She looked down at it, before glancing back up at him.

"What?" she said.

"Come back," he said simply.

"If I didn't know better, I'd think you couldn't be without me," she smiled.

"I don't want to be," he said.

For some reason he reminded her of a puppy now, even though she knew the comparison would make him frown, so she took his hand. With a look over her shoulder at Isis she waited for her roommate to come, but she shook her head.

"Later, maybe," she said.

"Will you be here tonight?" Ella asked.

Even though she wasn't specific, it was clear she was talking about their dorm. Isis hadn't been sleeping here at all ever since the start of the year and though Ella didn't think they were anything close to friends yet, at least the girl had somehow gotten to a point where she could look at her without screaming. She supposed that was a step forward. Despite the fact that she was Levi's ex, Ella still stood behind the fact that if Isis acted normal to her, she wouldn't mind becoming closer. If they were going to be roommates for the following years, they might as well not be enemies.