35

LEVI HAD TEXTED HER the time he would pick her up a day before, keeping the whole plan shrouded in mystery. The only details he had told her were that she should pack an overnight bag, walking shoes and a swimming suit, which left her with more questions than before. Were they going hiking? Was he taking her to a waterpark and just confusing her with the shoes? Either way, she was excited. She loved surprises.

This weekend her mother had picked her up so they could eat dinner together Friday, Sebastian still not having mustered the courage needed to tell her about his very inpromptu proposal idea. Ella had given him a kick underneath the table to stimulate him to say something, but all it had done was cause Sebastian to glare at her. Now it was Saturday and Ella was sitting on the floor of her room, clothing scattered everywhere around her open suitcase.

She had wanted to pack the night before, but her time management skills were still as terrible as ever. So here she was, at six o'clock in the morning, because apparently Levi had thought eight was the perfect time to go do whatever he had planned. Honestly, it didn't really matter that much what it was. They had fun camping in the middle of nowhere and while running from the police, so that basically meant they'd have fun anywhere.

Her mother was downstairs, already busy with some paperwork, and when the doorbell rang at eight sharp she was the one who opened the door. Ella ran downstairs with her suitcase, ready to save Levi in case he said something stupid, before snorting as her boyfriend's eyes widened in slight panic. He quickly straightened his back, his lips contorting in something resembling a smile as he tried to look polite. All he ended up looking like was a loanshark who had come to extort money, but she wasn't going to tell him that.

"Ma'am," he said, voice so stiff he sounded like a robot," I hope you are faring well this warm morning -"

"Why are you talking like that?" Ella asked.

"Whatever are you talking about?" he said," I always talk like this."

"I hear you and my daughter are going away for the weekend," her mother said, crossing her arms.

Levi looked at Ella and back to her mother, obviously not having prepared anything to say to her mother and stressed about it.

"I'll bring her back before dark Sunday," he promised," and we won't be alone together at night."

"We won't?" Ella said, the words slipping out before she could stop herself.

Her mother raised her eyebrows, turning towards Levi, and in response he took his phone out of his pocket. After tapping on the screen a few times he gave it to her, her eyes wandering across whatever he was showing on the screen before she slowly nodded. Though Ella had told her mother beforehand about the weekend away and Levi, she was still surprised at her mother's approval. She had been much stricter with Sam. Granted, Sam was a chaos and all his ideas were reckless, but the contrast was strange to see. It made her happy though, because her mother's approval meant everything to her.

"Take care of my daughter," her mother said, the words sounding more like a warning than a warm sentiment.

"To be honest, your daughter takes care of me," Levi said, before continuing," but I'll keep her safe. I would never do anything to put your daughter in harm's way."

"Because I'd kill him," Ella chuckled.

"She would," Levi agreed solemnly.

"She takes after me in that way," her mother said, a half-smile on her lips.

With a peck on her cheek her mother let her go then, turning towards Levi for the last time to look at him. They both somehow came to a silent understanding a moment later, nodding simultaneously at each other. Ella stared at the two confusedly, but decided not to remark on it, because Levi obviously was pleased with the approval. He took her suitcase from her hands, walking with her towards his car, which was parked in front and funnily enough matched with his outfit. Both were a jet black, Levi's usual shirts exchanged for a button up coupled with a pair of jeans. His hair was slicked back as always, accentuating his sharp features.