50

"I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S already Christmas."

Ella glanced at Sebastian, who was sitting at their living room table, staring intensely out of the window like any philosophical thought could ever enter his head when he couldn't even finish the forty piece puzzle in front of him. Their mother had made them clean the whole day, guests arriving for dinner at their place within a couple of minutes. The scent of her cooking was wafting through the place, the spices of her childhood always something comforting. For the first time in years their Christmas dinner was going to be spent with people outside of their family as well. Usually it was only the three of them, but her mother hadn't protested when Ella had suggested the idea of bringing her friends along, Sebastian immediately piping up that Faiza would love to come by as well.

"The more the merrier," her mother had said, a small smile on her lips.

She had glanced only briefly at the empty chair at their table, but her expression hadn't faltered. If Ella could describe strength in one word, she'd only think of her mother. Now Faiza was helping her in the kitchen, Ella having been chased out long ago after having almost burned it down. She wasn't bad at cooking, but with how quick Faiza and her mother were at it she hadn't been helping much.

"I can," Ella replied," it feels like I've been at school forever. Thank God it's finally time for the holidays."

"I will have you know being a grown-up sucks," Sebastian said, pointing a puzzle piece at her," I don't even have any time off now I'm at college. We're just supposed to study during Christmas, can you believe that?"

"You're making a puzzle," Ella remarked.

"I said we were supposed to, not that I'm doing it."

Their bell rang then and she jumped up, a smile already on her lips. Levi, Will and Alex were standing politely at the door, obviously having pushed Levi forward in case their mother would answer and he had to represent them. She didn't know why they hadn't chosen the obvious option, Will, but it was cute nonetheless. The cold wind had kissed their cheeks red, all of them wrapped warmly in a scarf and gloves, Levi clearly begrudged at the fact they had been put on as he subtly tried to pull it looser.

The perpetrator of it all was found behind them, Will's father smiling pleasantly as he offered her a hand. Every time she saw him it surprised her again how much he and Will looked alike, Levi immediately letting go of his scarf.

"It's nice to meet you again," he said," I leave my boys in your good care."

"You're sure you don't want to come in?" Ella said," my mother wouldn't mind."

"Oh, I couldn't intrude like that," he answered warmly," I have a gathering with some old friends tonight, but thank you for the invite."

"I still find it really strange to envision you and Clarkson going to school together," Alex said, shaking his head," I mean, you're so put together and Clarkson is... well, Clarkson."

"Believe me," Will's father laughed," I wasn't so put together back then, but then again, Bas was a completely different person as well. We both changed a lot at St Joseph, but the main reason we even became friends to begin with is through my best friend."

"Theo, right?" Will said," is he coming tonight?"

His father swallowed, looking down at his hands for a brief moment before he flashed them a smile again.

"No," he said," we lost contact, unfortunately. I've tried to get a hold of him for years, but I don't think he's in the country anymore." He playfully shooed the boys in then. "Anyway, that's enough of my stories. It's cold, go in, enjoy your night."