02

"Guess who Sofía got paired up with in English, Sam

"Guess who Sofía got paired up with in English, Sam." Emma smirks while she steals some fries from my plate even though she has her own. I glare at her but she ignores me happily munching on the fries while Sam pushes his glasses higher on his nose.

"That's a rhetorical question because you're gonna tell me anyways in a few seconds so I'm just going to wait." He answers her and I have to grin because I know it will make Emma furios. Just in the moment she pouts her perfectly red colored lips and steals a fry from him.

"You're no fun." She tells him and I see Sam's cheeks heat up making me sigh. This boy is so in love with her and she doesn't even notice.

"It's not worthy to speak of it, I'm going to do the project alone." I tell Emma who looks at me warily.

"It sure seemed like it, you and him were sitting right beside each other without saying a word and afterwards you stormed out of the classroom." She points out and I roll my eyes.

"You can have him as your partner if you want to. He's trouble and I'm not in for that kind of trouble." I say while I grab a fry and dip it into the weird looking red sauce that seems to be ketchup.

It looks so suspicous that I drop the fry back on my plate disgusted while Emma speaks up.

"I would love to have him as my partner ugh. You should count yourself lucky, you're gonna spend many evenings with Christian Verona!" She says while I push my plate over to her so she can eat the rest.

"Wait- you got paired up with Christian Verona?" Sam asks his brows raised and eyes widened while I nod.

"Good luck with that." He says and I sigh letting my face drop on my arms.

"I'm too tired to discuss this right now. He didn't say a thing so I assume I'm doing the project and I reach it in for both of us. It's perfect that way." I mumble into my arms while my burning eyes finally close and get some rest.

"Couldn't sleep again?" Sam asks me and I grunt something similar to a yes.

"You know I read people with lack of sleep have a high percentage of having a higher IQ." he bubbles out and I raise my head to smile at him. Sam is probably one of the rarest people who can make you feel better with one of these stupid facts he's reading all the time from the internet.

"We can scratch that for sure, sorry Sof." Emma says and I turn to her offended and nudge her arm while she giggles.

"You're an asshole."

"I know." She says grinning while her eyes wander around the cafeteria. She finished my plate in record time and I'm being honest when I say I'm not even surprsied. Emmas metabolism is insane it makes every girl at school jealous.

"I'm an asshole who desperately wants to fuck Christian Verona- holy shit I mean you can't deny he's not even the slightest bit attractive to you. I know you got Zayne but still." I follow her eyes to see Verona sitting at a table at the front, three guys sitting with him while his arm is wrapped around the waist of Georgia who's sitting on his lap even though there's still an empty chair to her side.

"You have such a primitive thinking sometimes Emma." Sam says and I nod in agreement. Emma turns her face towards us her brows raised.

"As if you wouldn't do it with Georgia if she'd ask you too." She tells Sam who instantly shakes his head no.

"Not every guy is an asshole Emma." he says before he stands up and grabs his bag leaving.

"Sam- wait!" I call after him worried but he exits the cafeteria quickly while Emma shoots me a confused look.

"What did they put in his food?" She asks and I furrow my brows.

"Are you really this oblivious or are you doing this for fun?" I ask her upset because I hate it when she hurts Sam. Emma opens her mouth and looks bewildered at me but I sigh and grab my bag as well because it's going to ring any minute.

"I need to get to my locker before class see you." I tell her before I get up and leave the cafeteria not without glancing towards Verona's table for a second time.

Surprisingly his eyes are trained on me and for a short second I'm reciprocating his gaze before I reach the double doors and dive into silence.

The halls are still empty because the students mostly try to stay at lunch break as long as they can. I stop my fast pace and lean against a locker slowly sliding down onto the ground. My limbs feel like they're crumbling into themselves and I hug my knees to my chest to make the aching go away.

It was a long night but different to what Sam was assuming. I didn't get one ounce of sleep because I was busy at the club and got on some extra shifts because I knew dad was not going to be home until the late morning. I didn't even see him when I left for school which was much to my liking.

I wish I could just never go back home but I know I have to eventually if I don't want him freaking out and locking me in. I think that would be my worst nightmare. The club is the only thing that's holding me together from crumbling completely and it's my highest priority to keep my secret identity a secret from my dad.

"What are you doing here?" I flinch at the voice and look up relaxing when I am met with Zayne's blue eyes.

"I wanted to have a break from all the chatting in the cafeteria." I tell him. He drops his bag and my hands get clammy when he slides himself down beside me.

"Listen what I said at the party, just forget it okay? I don't want to stress you out and if you're not ready I'm going to wait as long as you want. I can't stand the thought of loosing you over something so unimportant because you mean so much more to me Sofía." He mumbles beside me and I need to let out a quiet breath to calm myself down.

I grab his warm hand in mine our fingers intertwining. It's so weird to look at them because his tan warm skin is such a stark contrast to my cold pale one. "Don't worry." I tell him my eyes stinging a bit.

Zayne still sees me for the same Sofía I always was. If he knew about what I do every night he'd be disgusted. He wouldn't hold my hand like this and he certainly wouldn't press his soft lips against my cheek lovingly.

"I know it's always bad around this time but I want you to know that I'm always gonna be here for you." He says while he puts his forehead against mine.

His words sound so ironic to me that my lips twitch. He may be here with me physically but when it comes down to it my mind is always alone. No one can understand me and no one ever will. But it's alright this is just enough for me to hold onto and I know it's wrong and toxic but it's the only thing I know.

"I know and I count on that." I mumble quietly before I press my lips against his.