20

"Where have you guys been? You missed the whole movie

"Where have you guys been? You missed the whole movie."

Christian and I turn our heads to see Sam and Emma standing behind us.
Emma has a shit eating grin on her face while Sam looks perplexed.

"I was sick." I lie and stand up quickly so I'm not so close to Christian anymore.

"Okay. Should we go?" Sam asks nodding over to the car and I confirm with a nod following the two while I ignore Christians eyes on me.

The ride back to Emma is quiet well on the front seats anyways.
Emma and Sam wanted to sit in the back and I don't dare to turn my head just one centimeter into their direction because the sounds that are heard in the silence are highly clear.

Christians knuckles are turning white against the steering wheel and I take a deep breath in before I look outside the window watching the houses pass.

After some time they get bigger and cleaner and once we've reached the house with the familiar baby blue walls Christian parks the car in front of it.

Emma and Sam stumble out and I shoot them a short look.
Guess I'm not sleeping over at Emma's tonight.

"Thanks for driving Christian." Emma tells him with a small cheeky smile.
She waves at me before she walks- Sam's hand in hers- through her front yard until they're inside the house.

"You need a ride?" Christian speaks up and I involuntary turn towards him and nod slightly unsure.

"Seems like it." I say defeated and he walks over to his car holding the door open for me afterwards. I don't look at him while I get into the car and when he drives us out of Emma's street I still don't look at him.

The last thing I want to do right now is go home into that empty house but I don't dare to ask him to stay with me. Not after the words we shared in front of the cinema because they sounded an awful lot like we're not just friends.

The weird tension that formed between us still hasn't disappeared and it makes me move in the leather seat uncomfortably. Christian puts on the radio and I let out a small relieved breath when music starts to fill the sleek car.

I'm so nervous that I recognize the song that plays after some minutes. To my dismay it doesn't calm me down the slightest. I glance over at Christian who has boths his hands on the wheel his gaze strictly on the road in front of us.

His shoulders are tense his eyes a bit narrowed. When he lets out a small frustrated sigh I look away again trying to focus on the dark road.

"Okay no." I breathe out and put the volume of the music down.

Christian turns his head to me the question etched into his face.

"My dad's not home and I really don't want to go there and lay around all alone in the dark." I say as quickly as I can without taking a breath in between.