1. No voice

Wednesday 10:02am

The sound of the constant rain tapping against my car windows and roof while I'm dry and warm inside soothes me. I love rain. I don't know why I'm staying in South California to be honest. It's definitely not because of the weather. I don't really have anything keeping me here anymore. I have more friends on the East coast nowadays. It's nice when they visit but I prefer to visit them, I didn't use to like the idea of travelling, with the stress that comes with it but the reward is worth it. I learned to fight my fear of flying, of being in crowded places, of having to talk to strangers. It took a while. You wouldn't guess seeing me now. I talk to strangers on a daily basis. It comes with the job.

I hope it's not too early for me to call him. I don't know his routine yet so I have nothing to gauge if it is a good time or not. I don't really want to wait this afternoon because I have another patient to see early evening as they work full time.

Let's just chance it.

I take the file out of my bag and find his phone number, before dialling it. It rings but he's not answering. Maybe he's asleep. Maybe he can't pick up his phone. I'll message him and see.

[Hi sir, my name is Mina. You should have received a letter from your health insurance entitling you to a carer for up to four hours a day, three times a week. I will help with your physio sessions and anything you need to be done around the house. Also if you need groceries, just let me know and I can stop by the store. Anything you would like for lunch?

Let's see if he responds. I'll check my social media and see if... my phone buzzes.

[Hi. Sorry can't speak at the moment. Yes please come over whenever suits you. I need washing up liquid, toothpaste and would like a vegan salad for lunch if that's okay.

[No problem. I will be over in half an hour.

He seems nice. Hard to tell on messages really but he's polite. And he's vegan. It's gonna make my life easier.

After stopping by the store to pick up the things he needs, I arrive at his building. It's no longer raining and the smell of the warm tarmac and iron lifts in the air. I love it. I buzz and the only thing I can hear is a cough.

"Hi, it's Mina."

He doesn't answer but the gate opens. As soon as I enter the lobby, I receive a message.

[Second floor. Apartment 29. To

I remember now him saying he can't speak. The building is nice, modest but clean. Once at his door, I knock and hear him stepping closer on the other side, before it opens.

A young man with pale skin, longish dark curly hair and a good head taller than me appears. He's wearing dark jeans, a black t-shirt with a cool design on it. His fingers are dressed with a couple of skull rings, and his fingers nails with left over black nail varnish. His expression is kind but he looks tired.

"Hello." I say smiling.

He smiles back and lets me into the apartment. The open plan with the living room on the left and the kitchen on the right makes it look airy. I drop my bag and take lunch to the kitchen, placing it in the fridge, the washing up liquid next to the sink and the toothpaste on the breakfast bar.

I put my jacket on the back of a chair around the dinner table and turn to him.

"How are you feeling?"

He signs with his good hand a "so-so", his other arm being stuck in a brace.

"I have been briefed by your usual physio of your exercises. We can start with that? I can also help doing a bit of cleaning."