3. Helpless

Sunday 2.38am

My phone wakes me up. What the hell? What time is it? I turn in my bed and pick it up from the bedside table, noticing the time on my alarm clock. Who the fuck is calling me in the middle of the night? Antoine used to do that when he was wasted or drunk but he knows that, if he wants to keep his balls, he shouldn't even contemplate the idea.

"Hello?" Nobody answers but I can hear someone struggling on the other end. I look at my phone and notice it's him, my mute patient.

"Hello? Are you okay?"

"Mina." The deepest voice I have ever heard is calling my name in a heavy pained breath, giving me goosebumps all the way to my bones. Am I still asleep? Is this voice real? Either it's him or a friend of his.

"Is... is that you? What's going on. Are you okay?"

"Mina. I need help. I... I... I can't move my arms..." I hear panic and struggle and sit right up, holding my breath.

"I'm here. Do you want me to call an ambulance?"

"I need you. Please."

"Of course. I'm on my way." I say, jumping out of bed, picking up my hoodie. I rush to the door and put my trainers on, with the phone still stuck to my ear. "I'm here okay. I'm with you." I try to reassure him, while grabbing my car keys and my bag. After locking my door, I run down the stairs to the basement and jump in my car.

Once I leave, my phone connects to the Bluetooth and I drive off.

"When did this happen."

"I nodded off and I just woke up like that. Fuck!" God his voice is such a surprise to me. I wasn't expecting... Anyway. He's panicked and needs me.

"Has it happened before?"

"Yeah, it happened with the other arm but never both at the same time." I hear him breathing heavily.

"Listen, I am ten minutes away now so I won't be long."

"FUCK!!!" His scream is higher pitched. I'm not sure what to do in this situation. I can hear his anxiety and I know the worst thing to say is that it's gonna be okay. But I need something to take his mind off.

"Do you think it's because of my poor cooking? Delayed reaction. I mean I knew it was not Michelin star but to actually initiate paralysis is a first for me." He laughs anxiously but I feel that maybe I am distracting him a little.

"I'm gonna sue you." He says playfully.

"Asshole!" He laughs again. "I'm sure you could, although my estate is quite modest so I'll need a loan."

"I'm not sure the bank will give you any."

"Why? Have you run a credit check on me? Do you already know I have a gambling addiction and I made poor investment decisions in my life? HOW? HOW DO YOU KNOW?!" A bit of drama non sense seems to do the trick.

"I own the bank. I won't give you a loan."

"Man, this sounds like a conspiracy. I swear to god! Or did I read that in a book."

I park and run to his building. I know he's slightly calmer but I'm desperate to get to him and help.

"I'm downstairs."

"The code is 7480." I'm surprised he gives me the code to start with but then, I don't think he could buzz me in. "There's a key under the doormat."

"That's not very safe you know." I say on my way up the elevator. "Also, why do you need a key under your doormat?"

"For physiotherapists to rescue me."