thirty seven

The alarms had been blaring for a couple of minutes now, the two policemen had offered to escort Jeremiah out but he refused, muttering something along the lines of keeping Jerome contained. Jim pinched his forehead as he watched the twin of the most chaotic criminal in Gotham frantically claw at his keyboard, trying to work out who had broken into his home.

"If you know where he is, Jeremiah? You need to take us to him." Gordan instructed. His voice stilled Jeremiah. Jim's excitement slowly seeped through his adrenaline. This was it, he had finally found Jerome. He could get his daughter back.

"I can't do that," Jeremiah's words seemed to fill the room. Irritation flashed across Jim's face as he tried to navigate Jeremiah's stubbornness.

"What if he is nuttier than the other one?" Harvey muttered at Jim, his hand resting, twitchingly, over the hilt of his gun. But Jeremiah picked up the comment and quickly turned to face the cops.

"I am nothing like my brother," he spat, pushing himself away from the monitors, approaching the two policemen. Jim could sense the irritation coming from his partner, the alarms and flashing lights were putting everyone on edge.

"You want me to put you in a cell next to his?" he spoke with urgency, "because that's where this is heading!" he warned, his right hand pushing back his blazer and showing Jeremiah the gun that was holstered on his belt. Jeremiah followed the motion and tensed his jaw, stopping in his path.

"And then what, Captin Gordan? You couldn't hold him. Arkham couldn't. I can." He snapped, listing off the failed attempts that the government of Gotham city had tried in containing Jerome Valeska.

"I will make sure that Jerome never escapes again," Jeremiah's determination matched that of Gordan. The twin moved closer to the police officer, glaring at him.

"No, no, no. Jerome comes with us! That psycho has tormented my daughter, I'm not just giving him up," Jim retaliated. Jeremiah frowned when Jim mentioned Rory and was about to respond but was cut off by Harvey.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa," Harvey spoke quickly. The detective had caught movement on the monitors which were decorating the wall opposite them, the sight of the figures running around caused him to quickly move towards the TVs. The eerie figure of Scarecrow rushed past one of the cameras with the silhouette of Tetch following behind.

"The loonies are outside."

Jeremiah looked to the monitors, breaking eye contact with Gordan, watching the two villains stalk through his corridors. On the grainy grey screens, Ecco was leading Tetch through the corridors of the house. Jeremiah ran to his desk, watching as his friend guided the loonies through his home.

"No, no, no, no. How did they find me?" Jeremiah panicked, watching the screens intensely.

"They must have followed Jerome. We need to move, now." Jim ordered.

Almost as if to spite Jim, the monitors shut off, leaving the three men in the dark, with only the red flashing light of the alarms illuminating them.

"This is not good," Harvey muttered as he looked around at his companions.

"Is there another way out of here?" Jim quizzed, he seemed calm compared to the two other men, looking around the room.

Jeremiah rolled his shoulders in an attempt to compose himself and looked at Gordan.

"Yes, but I'm not leaving Ecco."

"The loonies will use her against us!" Harvey warned.

"She devoted her life to me!" Jeremiah yelled back.