twenty five

The men in white coats quickly scooped Lola off the floor and rushed her to a different room. Jerome still had a hold of Rory and until all of them had left, he kept his grip tight on her mouth.

As soon as the door slammed shut, he released her. Rory gasped for air. She didn't want to believe it. She knew that Lola wasn't going to survive this but some part of her had hoped she would. She broke away from Jerome instantly and ran to the door, calling out Lola's name. The door was too heavy to open and she was too weak to try any harder.

Instead, Rory fell to her knees and burred her face in her hands. Her whole body was overwhelmed with guilt and sadness. She felt so heart broken that she forgot that Jerome was in the room with her.

Jerome had remained seated. He had removed his gas mask and watched Rory weep. He didn't react to this in anyway, just watched in seriousness as Rory sobbed. He watched her for a long time, watching her body jerk as she gasped for air through her tears, simply waiting for her to tire.

"It wasn't supposed to kill her," he said. His words bounced about the room.

Rory stilled and held her breath after hearing him. Her mind started racing as she listened to him.

"I wanted her to go mad," he spoke again, his tone deep and serious. The fact that he wasn't entertained by Lola's death sent shivers down Rory's spine. This meant he was angry, which was worse.

"Mad?" Rory echoed as Jerome's words sunk in.

"You wanted to make her.... mad!" she exclaimed again as she realised Jerome's plan.

She stood up from the floor and wiped her face with her hands, anger started to heat her chest up as she turned to view Jerome - who was still sitting.

"You were going to make the woman who saved my live completely insane?!" She yelled, her guilt slowly feeding her anger.

Jerome didn't say anything, just watched Rory. His face was emotionless, completely stern. Rory matched his gaze, staring him down with a ferocious look. Before Jerome could respond, Rory left her outrage get the better of her.

"You think that I care if she was supposed to be mad? She wasn't supposed to be involved in any of this!" Rory yelled, her body crawling with adrenaline as she faced Jerome.

"It doesn't matter what you were supposed to do, Jerome! You killed her! You killed Lola!" Rory chocked on a sob as she continued to yell at Jerome.

"You killed someone who had done nothing wrong! Lola saved my life, she helped me!" As she screamed this, Rory's anger started to fuel her tears. She looked at Jerome as she started to cry.

"Why do you keep doing this to me? You create so much pain, Jerome! You have hurt me more than I have ever hurt you!" she cried. Jerome stayed silent, looking at Rory with a dead expression.

"I dont understand... is this revenge for Jake? For leaving you?" she demanded as she once again wiped her tears away.

Again, Rory was met with silence .

Rory wrapped her arms around her body as she sobbed. She looked at the ground as she processed what was happening to her.

"You have tortured me, and taken me away from my home, hunted me. You have killed people I love right before my eyes. For what? So that I love you again?"

This made Jerome flinch, his jaw tensed as he slowly started to feel the burn of Rory's words.

"I will never love you like that Jerome, never. I am terrified of you! You are a nightmare to me-" Rory was cut off but the sudden movement of Jerome, who had stood up from his seat. The chair made a loud bang as it tipped over hitting the floor.

"Do NOT talk to me like that!" he boomed.

Rory jumped at his outburst but her grief had given her courage.

"Or what? You'll kill me? Or are you going to drive me mad?" she sneered back as she wiped her face.

"Don't you even start-"

"No Jerome, kill me, it would be better if you did! I wouldn't have to worry about you anymore!" Rory started sobbing again, her anger left her and all she had the energy to do was cry.

Jerome stepped towards her and watched Rory break down. He stood in front of her as she sobbed, a long period of silence drew out between them.

"Why did you kill her? Why? She was just trying out help-" she was silenced by Jerome. He hugged her, his hold around her was gentle. Shockwaves rattled through Rory at his touch, although she was terrified, his hold on her comforted her. She clung to him and this small moment of kindness and allowed the effect of his touch to calm her.

Rory sobbed into Jerome's arms, trying to find comfort in the man who killed the woman who saved her. Maybe she thought as she hugged Jerome, maybe I can get the old Jerome back.

A/N-

Oop! Well well well! What do you guys think of the chapter? Do you think that Jerome's action is a sign that Rory could get his old self back? Tell me what you think in the comments! Hopefully this chapter wasn't too melodramatic but hey, who doesn't love a bit of drama :)

If you want to support the black lives matter movement there is a link on my profile which will take you to a petition for Breonna Taylor, her murders still haven't faced justice and you're signature could help get it for her family!

Don't forget to vote and comment!

I hope you are all staying healthy and safe!

- R x