x. it's not like he's gonna be cursed, right?

the army of monsters continued on their conquest, a wide range of monsters within their ranks. there were hairy humanoid creatures with six arms each passing by, tattered bits of armor and animal fur hung loosely on their bodies. there were hundreds of monsters in their ranks, and gale couldn't help but compare this mini army to the one at mount tam a year or two ago.

was the memory traumatic? long story short, yes. he still got goosebumps thinking about the amount of monsters the legion had to fight through. he could still feel the pure exhaustion he felt trying to take out that many monsters. he could still feel the overwhelming sadness he felt when he saw his allies go down in battle, even the ones who hadn't treated him the best. he could still feel the utter fear he felt when jason went off to fight krios, and the unbearable pain when jason came out after defeating the titan on a stretcher and barely breathing. he remembered the solemn mood of the legion as they honored their fallen comrades and their sacrifices that let them see another day, and how sour the mood at camp jupiter was for a while. so saying that the attack on mount tam was traumatic was an understatement.

part of him had recovered from the wounds the attack gave him, mental and physical, but he didn't enjoy the memories, not in the slightest. he took a deep breath, forcing them away, before turning his attention back to the problem at hand.

"the gegenes," hazel whispered. "the earthborn."

"you've fought them before?" percy asked.

hazel shook her head. "just heard about them in monster class at camp. the earthborn fought the argonauts. and those things behind them-"

"centaurs," percy said. "but... that's not right. centaurs are good guys."

arcana looked at him with a bewildered look. "what centaurs have you been fighting? centaurs are out of their minds, always getting drunk and killing demigods. what about that is good?" gale elbowed arcana, and she held up her hands defensively before rolling her eyes.

"are they supposed to have bull's horns?" hazel asked.

"maybe they're a special breed," frank guessed. "let's not ask them, okay?"

"my gods... cyclopes." percy's face looked pained, and gale felt bad for him. he followed percy's line of sight and realized he was right. behind the centaurs were a whole battalion of the one-eyed creatures, each about ten feet tall, each of them wearing armor and large weapons probably ready to cleave off someone's head. six of them pulled a two-story-tall siege tower fitted with a giant scorpion ballista.

percy pressed the sides of his head. "cyclopes, centaurs, this is wrong, all wrong."

gale placed a hand on percy's shoulder, feeling his once tense form relax at gale's touch. "we should get him back to the boat. maybe the sea will make him feel better."