7: A peerless beauty

Jian Qiao kept his head down to conceal his cold expression.

The two siblings continued their unending chatter, demanding all sorts of things—jewels, ornaments, fine clothes, perfumes.... If Desolette had it, and it was expensive enough, they wanted it.

Their behavior wasn't like that of aristocrats, but more like beggars who'd been starving for days. When they saw a sumptuous feast they couldn't wait to pounce on it, tearing at the fattiest meat as fast as possible.

They didn't care if their bellies would burst.

Jian Qiao listened patiently and nodded from time to time, as if he had every intention of obeying their instructions. He looked submissive, but he had other plans in mind. For the sake of the people of Desolette, he would never let these bandits trample on him.

Throughout the continent of Tortus the number of people who worshipped the Angel's Tear and were crazy to have it was countless. He could secretly circulate the news that the gem had been grabbed by Lady Helen. After that, he wouldn't have to lift a finger.

Jealousy and greed were the catalysts for struggle. He was certain someone would deal with Helen.

Furthermore, Charles III had many mistresses, all of whom dreamed of becoming queen.

Helen was lucky she'd become pregnant already, but she was headed for the rocks. If she'd wanted to give birth to her child peacefully she should have stayed behind closed doors and taken strict precautions, instead of what she was doing now, using her belly to dominate others.

She had no idea how many enemies lurked in the shadows waiting to tear her apart, nor did she know the cruelty people were capable of if they stood to gain.

If matters continued like this, sooner or later she would have an accident.

And once something happened to her, Hall Grande wouldn't fare well either. The interests of brother and sister were linked.

Thinking of this, the gloom on Jian Qiao's face completely disappeared.

He straightened his back and said in a gentle voice, "My lady, I will certainly fulfill all your wishes."

Helen Grande, however, suddenly shrieked, "Oh God, why are you so dirty? Get away from me this instant! Oh no! You kissed my hand just now, you damned pig! If I get sick from that kiss I'll cut off your head!"

She quickly offered her hand to the maid, who knelt on the muddy ground to carefully wipe the back of her hand.

Hall Grande fixed his fierce gaze on Jian Qiao's mud-splattered trousers and snarled, "Dirty bastard, get the hell out of here!"

He hadn't inherited the title yet, but he already took no notice of Jian Qiao, an earl. Once he became Duke, how much more domineering would he be?

Jian Qiao backed away and apologized. Though he looked terrified on the surface, his heart was filled with anger. He was really fed up with these foolish siblings.

A charming middle-aged woman and a tall middle-aged man heard the yelling of the brother and sister and rushed out of the castle. This couple was the Duke and Duchess of Grande.

"My dear sweet muffin, what happened to you?" The woman cupped Helen Grande's cheek.

Helen hurried to lean against her mother's shoulder and recounted her grievances.

The Duke of Grande heard the whole story and immediately cast an unkind look at the culprit.

Obviously, Jian Qiao had stabbed a hornet's nest. If Helen Grande's "fragile" heart couldn't be soothed, he wouldn't be able to leave this place today. The knights of the dukedom had surrounded them, and each one had a murderous expression on his face.