11: Rege is pleased

No nobleman would dare bring a mere bottle of perfume to an audience with a higher-ranking noble.

If he actually did, he either had a brain problem or wanted to make an enemy. Such a shabby gift would surely make the other party furious enough to sweep him out into the street.

Therefore, if the duel hadn't happened today, Hall would have rained down curses on this Earl of Flowervale until the knights of the ducal palace threw him out.

Once disgraced, he would have to scurry back to Desolette like a little mouse.

However, Rege believed the gentleman Earl was anything but a fool. He'd never put himself in that kind of embarrassing situation.

"Is there something special about this bottle of perfume? Is it more expensive than jewels?" Rege held the curved bottle up to the window and inspected its color in the light, then aimed it at the air and casually sprayed a bit.

In an instant the heavy fragrance filled the entire carriage, making him frown with distaste.

He hated the overly cloying, heavy scent. Like a flood of seawater it invaded the lungs, streaming constantly into the trachea, causing a feeling of suffocation. He really couldn't understand why women would like this type of perfume.

In his opinion, the most refreshing fragrance was the smell of blood and metal produced by the clash of swords.

Jian Qiao gently shook his head. He closed his eyes again and was silent for a moment.

Dizziness made his voice softer and slower than usual. "Whether it's special or not, whether it's expensive or not, I'd give one type of answer in front of Helen Grande and a different one in front of you."

With these words, he opened his eyes and looked intently at the lion before him.

Rege raised his eyebrows and became interested. "Oh? What's the answer for Helen and what's the answer for me?"

Jian Qiao held out his hand.

Rege naturally put the perfume bottle into his white palm.

After receiving the bottle, Jian Qiao said slowly, "In the presence of Helen Grande, I'd say: this perfume is a blend of agarwood, musk, amber, and damask rose, fused and tempered together from the world's rarest, most cherished perfume ingredients.

"Its name is 'Queen's Rose'. Its top notes are like smoke and pine, delicate but tenacious; the middle notes are vast as the sea and the abyss, broad yet deep; the bottom notes are like the earth and sky, magnificent but remote.

"And the Queen's Heart is just as it should be. Its color is as radiant as gold, and its worth is as costly as gold. To be more precise, its other name is 'Liquid Gold', for this is the only bottle in the world. It is totally unique. Only the world's most noble woman deserves to have it."

While describing the qualities of this bottle of perfume, Jian Qiao rubbed the round belly of the bottle back and forth in his long, thin fingertips.

He was completely unaware of how fascinating this subtle motion was in Rege's eyes.

If his fingertips were rubbing something other than the bottle back and forth, what would it be like? Would it feel like a feather flitting across the skin, yielding a supremely indescribable sensation....

Thinking of this, Rege lowered his eyes to look at the back of his hand, where a layer of goosebumps had surfaced.

"The Queen's Rose, Liquid Gold, unique in the world," Rege said in a hoarse voice. "It does sound extraordinary. Helen should be satisfied. And what would you say before me?"