36: I will hold you

Last time, when he was sent into the deep, dark water by his mother's hands, Jian Qiao passed out from suffocation.

He didn't know how he was saved.

This time, he clearly saw Rege's figure swimming towards him. He moved through the water like a powerful fish, cutting through the rapids and waves, approaching quickly.

He extended his strong arms and tightly wrapped them around Jian Qiao's slender waist.

He towed Jian Qiao upward and supported his body so that he was the first to reach the surface and breathe the air before Rege himself emerged.

Everything happened so quickly, but it was terrifying.

Jian Qiao coughed while clinging to Rege's body with all his might.

"Don't be afraid, Jian. Don't be afraid. I'm here and I've got you with me. I'll definitely save you. Relax, ease up." Rege reassured Jian Qiao again and again.

Rege was so tightly entangled he couldn't free his hands and feet, and this was the biggest cause of death for good Samaritans who tried to rescue drowning victims.

Jian Qiao knew he ought to relax, but intense fear made his body more rigid than stone. He was wrapped around Rege like seaweed, afraid to let go even a little lest he be swallowed up by death.

"Right, I'm sorry, I can't relax." His teeth chattered with fear.

The desperate desire to live made it impossible for him to say something like "leave me and go".

"It's all right." Rege had a smile in his voice. "It's fine if you can't relax. I can get you to safety."

The swirling vortex created by the rushing current was like countless pairs of hands from the god of death reaching for them, pulling them under the water to the bottom. But Rege, who was born for war, possessed strength and endurance unimaginable by ordinary people. Even if he was closely hindered by another person, he could handle it with ease.

He comforted Jian Qiao as he used his powerful arms to plunge through the waves and swim towards shore.

His hounds and knights chased him along the road by the shoreline, barking and shouting in great confusion.

As he heard the river's roar and those anxious shouts, Jian Qiao's heart was in his throat.

But Rege didn't panic at all. He also continued to comfort him, "Don't hold my arms, hold my neck. We're almost there. We'll get out, trust me. This kind of current is nothing to me. I once crossed a strait overnight when we did a sneak attack on the sea defenses of Aratos. The ocean waves were higher than the walls of Grande."

"You've never seen such a magnificent view. I'll take you to see it someday." He rambled on about his heroic deeds, using his words to soothe Jian Qiao.

Of course, Jian Qiao knew how magnificent the waves of the ocean were. He'd seen them on TV.

"You're more magnificent than the ocean," he said in a hoarse voice, pressing against Rege's ear.

As Rege firmly gripped his waist and brought him to the shore little by little, Jian Qiao calmed down. He even felt an odd sense of security in the pull of the whirlpool and the call of death.

"I don't need to see the ocean, I can just look at you. You're the most magnificent view in my eyes." He focused on Rege's excessively handsome profile.

This man was fighting death itself to save him. If that wasn't magnificent, what was magnificent?

Rege: "..."