14: I want your full attention

Rege quickly reached out to catch the courtesan as she tumbled forward. He was a knight, so even if he was fed up to the extreme, he wouldn't allow a traveling companion under his protection to encounter danger.

After he stabilized the person, he looked at Jian Qiao. His expression seemed unconcerned, but in reality he was embarrassed to death.

What a damn original way to meet someone! He couldn't wait to find a hole in the ground!

Jian Qiao carefully placed the two crystal balls into a velvet-lined box, then stood up and nodded politely. "My lord, a pleasure to see you."

His face had no expression and the melancholy air that lingered around him hadn't dispersed by half, but his voice was very gentle and his eyes shone with a radiance they'd never had before.

He always preferred to hide his feelings deep in his heart's defenses, but just to welcome Rege, he opened a rarely seen crack in the door.

He was really delighted to see this person again.

Rege possessed the keen intuition of a beast. Although he didn't know Jian Qiao well, he could sense his happiness at this reunion. The sudden light in the other person's eyes lit up his heart as well.

In the space of a moment, Rege's embarrassment and annoyance disappeared. With a bright smile he lifted his arm to wave, and at the same time got rid of the social flower who was holding tightly to him.

The courtesan was almost hoisted up by his raised arm and had to reluctantly let go.

"Did you come to shop?" Jian Qiao slowly stepped forward and said, "No matter what you buy today I'll give you a twenty percent discount."

Twenty percent wasn't low. When all was said and done it might save thousands of gold coins.

Rege raised his eyebrows and asked, "Oh? They say you never give discounts, why are you so generous to me?"

Jian Qiao looked directly in his blue eyes and replied, "Because you're a good person."

Rege's lifted eyebrows involuntarily twisted together. A good person? Just because of that? Damn, what a disappointing answer! There were so many good people in the world, did Jian Qiao give all of them discounts? Could he even do that? The phrase "good person" was so mediocre, it didn't capture how unique he was!

The more he thought about it the more dissatisfied he felt. Rege asked in a deep voice, "Why am I good?"

Jian Qiao lowered his eyes and considered for a moment, then replied with great seriousness, "Let's put it this way. In Grande and Polsa, you're the best person I've met."

Yes, the best person.

Jian Qiao knew very well that if he hadn't found a suitable reason to leave the palace that night, the consequences would have been tragic. Duke Lewis wouldn't offend the future king just for him, and Queen Moen wanted to spend the rest of her life in peace, she also had to rely on Prince Andrew's care.

Once the pros and cons were weighed, Jian Qiao would inevitably be sacrificed. Everyone would choose to look on from the sidelines, or even add fuel to the fire, working together to push Jian Qiao into the abyss.

But in the face of this cold reality and power, Rege—a person who had nothing to do with him, who even had reason to hold a grudge—reached out a helping hand.

When the whole world was indifferent to his life and death, only Rege had cared.

Wasn't that the best person?

Thinking of this, Jian Qiao gently touched the corner of his long, narrow eyes with his fingertips and said in a soft voice, "A twenty percent discount is still a bit small in my opinion. How about this, I'll give a set of jewelry to this beautiful miss. Whatever she likes, no matter how expensive it is, it's yours to take away."