15: Love yourself

Jian Qiao was made to wear a precious garnet ring while Rege's hand gently squeezed his fingers.

Rege couldn't take his eyes off the work of art before him. He hadn't spoken for a long time.

The courtesan exclaimed from the bottom of her heart, "It's so beautiful!"

The ring was beautiful, but the hand wearing the ring was even more beautiful. It was curved as if there were no bones, each finger was long and tapered, the skin on the back of the hand was white as snow, but the fingertips were smudged with a bit of dust. The deep crimson stone on the ring finger was like a flame burning on a pure white field of snow.

White, pink, red. Three of the world's purest, loveliest, and most passionate colors blended together to form a work of art.

And only a hand like this could truly express the luxury and brilliance of the gem.

Rege gently toyed with this finger, and sensing that Jian Qiao wanted to retract his hand, he pinched the other man's fingertips.

"Don't move!" He said in a low voice, "Let me take another look." After he spoke, he turned the band of the large garnet ring, pretending he was seriously studying its appearance.

The customer is God, and since the customer wanted to take a good look, Jian Qiao could only wait silently.

Rege put the lithe, slender, snowy, delicate hand in his palm and caressed the ring finger from top to bottom again before he let out a sigh of satisfaction.

"I'll take this one too," he said briskly.

"How generous of you," Jian Qiao praised.

He really liked this type of customer who bought things on impulse without asking the price.

The courtesan, who thought the ring was for her, immediately raised her hand and said, "Wait! This one—" She pointed to a ring on the counter. "It must be a ruby ring, right? I want to see it, is that all right?"

"Yes, it's a ruby ring. Of course. You can look at anything you want." Jian Qiao took off the garnet ring and put it to the side in a velvet box, then took out the ruby ring.

Rege picked up the garnet ring and checked it against the light from the window. He wasn't sure why, but he suddenly felt it didn't appear as bright anymore.

Now that it was no longer on the gentleman Earl's finger, in the blink of an eye it seemed to have lost its alluring luster.

Rege pursed his lips. He'd already lost interest in this ring.

He put it back in the velvet box.

But the courtesan picked it up and placed it side by side with the ruby ring for comparison.

"I don't know if it's just my eyes, but I keep thinking this garnet ring is prettier and sparkles more than the ruby ring. But it's clearly cheaper, isn't it?" she said with a torn expression.

Jian Qiao patiently explained, "No, you're not mistaken. It's indeed true that garnets are more dazzling and eye-catching than the average ruby."

He placed the two rings in his palm, moved them into better light, and said, "Do you see the difference? Because of its higher dispersion, a garnet's fire has more exuberance. The light passes through, is released again, and transforms into an array of colors. It's not just a deep crimson, there's a touch of gorgeous purple in the red. It leaps like it's alive, like a burning flame. When I hold it I almost feel in a daze that my palm is hot."

The courtesan looked stunned.

When the precious garnet ring lay on the black velvet, although it sparkled, it was far from stunning.