Chapter Five: Wilderness

You had not expected to ever see Reiner in that state. It was shocking, but also sort of reassuring; if someone as tough as Reiner sometimes broke, then your own breakdowns seemed okay too. It was understandable, after everything he must have gone through when the wall broke, anyone would have trouble. Seeing him in that state made it so difficult for you to refrain from holding him tight and telling him it would be okay. You wanted to comfort him, help him through his pain. But that would be strange of course... you two weren't exactly close, you weren't even sure if you could call him a friend yet. But you had to do something. So certain he would push you away, you were shocked when he returned that pressure on your shoulder, as if silently accepting your comfort; the little that you gave him.

Sasha was snoring peacefully when you returned to the cabin. You were jealous of her ease of sleep. Your own fitful attempts at sleep were due to the upcoming survival test. The cadets were to be paired up and sent out into the wilderness to survive for five days. The partners were assigned at random, and each pair given basic rations and camping supplies. Also, pairs were allowed to team up with another pair, so long as you stayed primarily with your assigned partner. You and Sasha already agreed to pair up even if you weren't assigned together.

The next morning, you prepared a small pack of extra clothes before heading for the training ground with the rest of your cabin-mates. Standing in formation, all the cadets waited silently until Commander Sadies strode to the front and briefly discussed the 5-day survival test and what was expected before beginning to list off names.

"Reiner Braun and Sasha Braus." You sighed and exchanged a glance with Sasha as she moved to the front. "Y/N Braus and Jean Kirstein."

You froze. You could not have heard that right. Unfortunately, you met Keith's glare and understood; this particular assignment was not random. Commander Keith knew you had attacked Jean with a knife, and although he didn't have proof to punish you then, he had found an alternative punishment.

After a moment in your frozen state, you managed to stride forwards. While Sadies continued to read off names, he smiled at you cruelly when you joined Jean. Jean's expression was furious, but he didn't say a word to you. He slung the pack over his shoulder and led the way up the hill of the training grounds. You followed him sullenly but managed a small smile when you saw Sasha waiting with Reiner at the top of the hill.

"So, y/n and I planned to partner up our teams if you guys don't mind," Sasha said happily, blissfully unaware of the tension.

"Fine with me," Reiner smiled at you which you returned gratefully. Jean simply shrugged and continued walking towards the trailhead.

Once your group neared the trail, you saw Marco waiting there with Connie. At the sight of you with Jean, Marco's mouth gaped open and his worried expression didn't vanish until your group finally reached them. Connie looked like he was about to explode with laughter at the sight of your partner.

"I was going to wait and see if Jean's partner wanted to join us, but I assume you guys have already formed a team?" Marco asked politely while nervously glancing at Jean.

You nodded in response and grabbed Sasha's hand, mouthing an apology at Marco. Jean was still silent, and you glanced at him before leading the way up the trail.

After thirty minutes into the hike, Marco and Connie split off on another trail towards the lake. "There's a stream this way; a good spot for fresh water," Reiner said. Although you and Sasha had explored many of the trails, you had yet to reach this stream, so you let Reiner lead without complaint. The trail soon reached a steep cliff wall. "We'll need to climb, or else try to find a way around, the trail continues above. Looks like this part was wiped by a rockslide." Reiner shrugged and glanced at the others.