High Society Takedown

"Now," Bruce started firmly as their limo pulled up in front of the banquet hall. "We are going to a high society party where people are going to pinch your cheeks and talk to you as if you're stupid. What are you going to do?"

"Behave like proper gentlemen," Dick recited. "Who have been raised with manners." Jason added, already tired of this whole event. "That's right. And what will you not do?" Bruce asked, brow raised.

"Roll our eyes or make rude comments," Tim answered. "No matter how annoying they get." Damian finished. "And why?" Bruce prompted. "Because we know better." The boys chorused, and their Father smiled. He knew they were good boys. They just needed to be reminded to act their age.

The Wayne family strode down the red carpet and into the hall. They stood in the doorway for a second to admire the view. It was the same old same old, yet somehow the glittering chandeliers and guests in outfits worth more than some houses were still sights to behold.

III

After finishing the standard first go around the room, Dick split off to talk to Barbara. "Ohh, they got a chocolate fountain." Jason grinned gleefully and made a beeline for the dessert table. "I'll watch him." Tim said in response to his Father's creasing brows. "That's my boy." He smiled, his face relaxing now.

Damian looked around the room for some excuse to leave his Father's side and hide away in a corner somewhere until it was time to go home. "Wayne!" Someone called from across the room, and Bruce and Damian turned to sound.

A blonde woman in a sapphire dress and heels was sweeping through the crowd towards them. Damian vaguely recognized her but only from reading through Wayne Enterprise files.

Gwendolyn Lancaster. Gotham philanthropist and spokeswoman for just about every noble cause ever conceived. More to the point, sources said she was considering a million-dollar donation to the Wayne Foundation. Damian put on what he hoped was a charming smile. Whatever it took to help his Father reach that deal.

"So good to see you again." Ms. Lancaster gushed, pulling Bruce into a hug. She smiled down at Damian. "And who's this little cutie?" Bruce introduced his youngest son, and the boy extended his hand to shake. Ms. Lancaster's hand slid past it and pinched his cheek.

"I see you have an extra shadow as well tonight." Bruce commented as Damian noticed the little girl standing just to Ms. Lancaster's side. "You've started a trend." Ms. Lancaster smiled as she pulled the girl in front of her.

With her blonde curls and knee-length sapphire dress, she could have been a child ringer for Lancaster. "This is my dear niece, Olivia. It's her first big party."

"Well, I'm sure Damian would be happy to do the honor of giving her her first dance." Bruce offered, nudging his son forward. Damian clenched his jaw but extended his arm, which Olivia daintily took.

––––––––––––––

Aside from the older couples occasionally whispering about how cute they were, the dance passed without incident. "That was nice." Olivia smiled sweetly as they moved off the dance floor. "Maybe we could go again a bit later."

"I'll have to respectfully decline." Damian told her. He had done his gentlemanly duty and danced with her, but now he was ready to tuck himself into an unseen corner for the rest of the evening. "Then we could head over to the dessert table." Olivia suggested and started to pull him with her.

Damian yanked his arm away. "Again," He said with forced calm. "No, thank you."

Olivia grabbed Damian's arm and dug her nails in. "Now you listen to me." The girl hissed. "I may be new in Gotham, but I know my stuff. I know your Daddy wants a deal with my Aunty, but I doubt he'll get it if she thinks you hurt my feelings."