Vigilante in Training

Jason loved his new life in Wayne Manor.

What kid wouldn't prefer a massive mansion to a ratty apartment? And while he did occasionally feel bad that his Mom was long gone, the thought was always quickly replaced by the awe of having Batman and Robin as his Dad and brother.

Jay had always thought Batman was cool, but Robin had been his hero from the moment the young vigilante had come on the scene.

III

"Jason! You're supposed to knock." Dick scolded as his younger brother barged into his, Wally, and Roy's self-proclaimed young heroes meeting. "What are guys even doing?" Jay asked, pretending not to be admiring their costumes.

Alfred had a rule that all hero gear stayed in The Cave, so whatever the boys were up to must have been important. "Closed meeting." Kid Flash told him shortly. "Secret crime-fighter stuff." Robin added.

"Cool. Can I play too?" Jason asked, not taking the hint. "We're not playing," Robin repeated. "We have missions and stuff, and you can't stay." Jason glared at the three of them before stopping at Roy, who hadn't exactly told him to leave.

Even though Roy was much older, he and Jason were best friends. Surly as the oldest of the boys, Roy would vouch for him to stay.

"Sorry Jay." Roy mumbled. Jason stormed out, yelling that he was gonna tell, and Robin locked the door behind him.

Jason went straight for The Cave. Bruce would make the older boys share. "Daddy! Dickie won't let me-"

Jason stopped short at the sight of the four other Leaguers standing around the Bat-computer. He'd met all the heroes that Batman normally worked with, but somehow they were all much more intimidating suited up.

Wonder Woman, Superman, and Green Arrow all gave him friendly smiles, and Flash winked at him as Batman excused himself to walk his son back to the manor. "Sorry Daddy." Jason whispered. "It's alright." Batman told him, kneeling to the boy's level. "Did you need something Jay?"

"Dick won't let me into their dumb sidekicks' meeting." Jason huffed. "Protégé." His Father corrected, remembering the young heroes' sudden disdain for the other word. "I'm sure they'll be happy to play with you as soon as they're done talking. And I'll be up soon too."

Jason nodded and went to play by himself for a while.

––––––––––––––

Unfortunately, the Wayne men all seemed to have different definitions of what soon meant. Robin, Kid Flash, and Speedy only finished when Flash and Green Arrow came to get their boys, and Batman was only up in time for bedtime.

"I wanna be a superhero Daddy." Jay announced as Bruce tucked him in. He had expected this request sooner or later. He had just been naively hoping that he'd be able to keep his youngest away from the horrors of Gotham until he was much older.

Bruce looked at Jason, who was staring back at him with wide excited eyes. He was going to pursue this with or without his Father's help. "Alright." Bruce relented. "After school tomorrow, we'll go down to The Cave, and you can start training with Dick and me."

Jason jumped from his bed and threw his arms around Bruce's neck. "Thank you Daddy!" He squealed. Bruce hugged him back before laying him back down. "Get some rest." He said, pushing Jason's hair away from his head to give the boy a kiss on the forehead. "You're going to need it."

III

Jason paid less attention in school than usual the next day, and as soon as he got home, he changed out of his uniform and raced down to The Cave.