2. Sweet Neighbors.

"I am home!" Barb shouts from the doorway.

"Yeah?" I place the laundry basket, I was holding, on the wooden table beside me. It stops at nothing to make that irritating, creaking sound. We need to get new furniture in here.

She looks at me, the basket, then back at me.

"Last one of grandma's," I lie. I did hide a small box earlier. It wasn't anything special, just some reports from the mental hospital where grandmother was admitted to.

She nods but stays quiet. Her face falls and I can tell she is sad. I clear my throat and scan her; an ID hangs from her neck, the blue scrubs cling to her body perfectly and she styles her hair in a low ponytail. She looks tired but wears the brightest smile.

"Mom, it's okay if you don't want these given out. We can keep them," I speak softly, even when I don't mean any one of those words. But she needs to hear them anyway and I want these gone, maybe then, I wouldn't feel much more creeped out staying here.

Today marks the second week since we moved here. My mother has already started working at the hospital, and I'm only stuck with cleaning the house. Well, that is because my transfer form hasn't been processed yet. After repairing the ceiling, the wallpapers, and the broken windows and removing the dust, the cobwebs, and spraying this place, it almost feels pure again. It feels safe and less scary.

"No. It's for the greater good, right?" she walks past me and places the brown paper bag on the table.

"Veggies?" I ask, peeking into the bag.

"Yes. We should get more groceries as we settle." she starts unpacking, carefully putting everything where it's supposed to be. I lean against the wooden table and watch eagerly how she swiftly puts everything in place. I'd be procrastinating.

She tries hard to conceal it but I know she has a fresh wound in her heart. Her mother was the definition of 'everything' to her, and her death still roams around us. She passed on a few months ago, and the cause of her death remains idiopathic. Although, I'm not so sure now with those reports I saw. I still need some digging to do.

"Mom-"

"Oh! Honey, look what I got," she interrupts me, raising her right hand. She is holding a brown envelope. I shrug, uninterested, I wait for her to either tell me what that is or to give it to me. Could be bills, but she wouldn't get this excited over it. Did she get a promotion?

She extends her hand and gives it to me. "Your transfer form finally came in," She says, and I feel my gut tighten. I hesitate for a moment before I finally open it.

I scan through the detailed paper before my eyes land on the only thing written in bold black words, "Vamps Academy?!" I cry out.

She gives me a wide grin, "It's the only excellent school here."

"Even the name is creepy," I throw the letter on the table, placing a hand on my forehead.

I'm supposed to be happy, after some solid two weeks of being stuck in the house just cleaning, watching tv, and sleeping; I am finally going to go out, meet new people and have fun, but none of that excites me. I hate this. What if the entire school has vampire weirdos, who will suck out the blood off my neck and wrist?

Yeah, I watch too many movies.

"You will be fine, honey. Moreover, there are no vampires anywhere in the world," she says like she has read my mind.

I give her a weak smile, "So when do I start?" My stomach turns at my question.

"Whenever you're ready, but Monday will be great."