24. Viscous woman

Eve.

Loud wheezing from beside me wakes me up, I turn to my side and crush into Adams's body. It's cold—not like it has ever been warm—but this time it's too cold.

I sigh, I know he is in pain, and he can't even sleep it off. I sit up to look at him, he has his hands on his chest, his dark eyes stare at the dark ceiling, and he does not blink.

"Adam?" I call out in a quiet, crispy voice. I have been experiencing quite the same lack of sleep. The only thing that puts me to sleep is when I imagine all ways I will slay Ivy for hurting Adam and us. All of us.

In what ways to kill her is all I dream of, I zone out sometimes in class, just staring at her when she laughs with Leah.

Oh, Leah.

So oblivious and such an idiot. She'd dare to turn against her kind to protect a human who will bring nothing but havoc to us, I wish I can tell her, but I can't. I will probably explain everything when I see that Ivy is eliminated, it is only then that she will be able to hear me out. Somehow Ivy has managed to poison Leah's mind and make her think she is innocent and for Leah to take it upon herself to protect this "weapon" in form of a human.

If she is capable of wiping out our entire existence, she does qualify to be called a weapon, a dangerous spear.

"Eve," Adam utters with difficulty, his voice is husky, and he coughs out after. Just like any other time since he got sick, blood comes out. He has been in this condition for two weeks now, Ivy attacked him on the night he was supposed to kill her. I blame myself for not getting there in time.

Did Leah not see how dangerous Ivy is?

"Baby, I am here," I whisper, bringing my hand to touch his. It's cold, and I shudder, but I don't pull back.

"I am dying," Adam whispers. He states the obvious, but I don't want to believe it, not yet. Over the past few days, we have visited three famous witches to see if they can cure him of this illness. The problem is: We don't even know what is wrong with him, he is just sick, and with each second that passes he gets worse. I tried to give him my blood, Hermis' as well as Eros's, but nothing worked. It was all in vain.

According to the witches, Ivy had put some spell on Adam, and he would die, there was nothing we could do about it. I wonder where Ivy got these dangerous magic skills that all the powerful witches in our town couldn't cure.

It is nothing we have seen before. It's too powerful, and if I dare to reverse it, it might kill me; one of the witches said, but I wasn't surprised because even the other two said something similar.

Maybe if I killed Ivy, the curse might be reversed and my Adam might be alright again. He will survive, and that is why I have been working tirelessly to find ways to murder her.

"You won't die, do you hear me, dear husband? You will not die. You will live, you will kill Eros and you will be king, do you understand?" I squeeze his hand.

He only lets out a painful chuckle, "I need you to kill Ivy. You will need to protect our people, Eve, I trust you."

"Don't talk like that babe, you will be just fine," I say and place a gentle kiss on his pale, cold, and dry lips.

"Will he be, though?" A deeper voice echoes in the room and the lights flicker on. I shut my eyes for a minute, preparing myself for what is to come. I turn expecting Hermis, but Eros is the one that walks in. I furrow my eyebrows.

What does he want?

"Eros," I say, still up.

"Don't worry, sister-in-law, I am not here to finish off your pathetically weak husband. I bring a message from my father," Eros says, uninterested. My eyes scan his features like it's my first time seeing him; he has long dark brown hair, and he is tall and muscular. His skin is just like Adams, and he has blue eyes. He took after his mother.

"Why won't Hermis come down here himself?" I ask, and stride to where he stands.

"He is busy preparing my crowning ceremony… seeing as," he chuckles and jerks his head towards Adam, "He is dying, I will be king. It has always been my place, on the throne."

Without so much as a warning, I grab him and pin him to the nearest wall, with my right forearm on his neck. He doesn't struggle though, he only chuckles.

"I can't believe you'd want to fuck me when your husband is dying, Eve," he rumbles in a low tone and displays a mock smile on his lips.

But I am seeing red, he has no right to say something that awful about Adam. He doesn't have any idea how it hurts me to be powerless. To not be able to save the one person I love more than myself.

"If you dare step foot in here again, blathering about Adam's death, I'll cut your head off your neck."

"Oh, sister-in-law-"

"Now, now, children," Hermis' voice echoes, and I take a step away from Eros. He fixes himself and with that same smug face, he eyes me.

"Father," Eros says.

"Hermis," I face the man.

"Eve, I apologize for what you're facing, darling. I tried reaching out to my friends outside here, but they don't have any help they can offer our dear Adam," Hermis says.

I wonder if he even cares at all.

"But the only way to truly honor the dead is by avenging them," he says.

"He is not dead," I say through gritted teeth.

"But he will be," Hermis says. "Kill the girl who did this to your husband and maybe after, you may be allowed to be queen by marrying my younger son, Eros."

Repulsing!

"I will end this right away, and Adam will not die. I will find a way to save him." I look Hermis in the eyes, making sure he understands what I am saying.

He nods, "Fine then, you're such a vicious woman, Eve, don't disappoint me."

"Never!" I rumble and take off.

Tonight this ends.

#