4. Freak

IVY.

"Any luck finding new friends at school," Mom asks, right after I walk through the door like she has been waiting to ask me this.

"Ugh…" I bite my bottom lip, caught off guard. Why is she not at work right now? She is supposed to be at work.

As far as I know this entire week she is working the afternoon shift that's how she managed to drop me at school in the morning. I took the bus when coming back. The ride was unexpectedly calm, and no fangs appeared in people's teeth.

It is barely five in the evening and she is wearing her apron.

"Well?" she presses, her eyes glinting with excitement and a constant smile plastered on her perfect lips.

"Yes. I'm starving, let's talk over dinner, yeah?" I crease my eyebrows, inspecting the kitchen table. "I will go freshen up real quick."

After a long, exhausting day, this is the only place I'd rather be. I throw myself onto the bed.

Reluctantly draping my body in baggy jeans and a sweater, I make my way to the dining room.

"Is there any beef stew? I'm craving." I draw a chair, placing both my feet up like a real derelict.

"Sure….guess what?" She brings a huge bowl of fried rice and beef stew. The aroma sends me flying to grab a folk and dig in. "Whoa…hold up!"

I scowl.

"So remember the guys - our neighbors from across the street? They are coming over for dinner," she sings the last part.

"Can't believe you went through with this dinner thing." I drop the fork, hoping she reads my disinterest. My mother is very inviting, and I admire her for it. Unlike me, she is open with people and ready to throw smiles here and there. She is a lovable goofball and effortlessly nice.

"Just be pleasant okay…and smile too." She smiles - an example of what I'm supposed to be doing once the guests arrive.

I roll my eyes, I want to protest, but there's a knock on the door.

"That must be them," she chimes. "Smile my baby."

"Great." I roll my eyes and sit up.

"Hey… Sandy, you look great tonight," my mother's voice echoes from the front door.

"You too, Barbara…is it okay if I call you Barb." Sandy giggles, earning an eye roll from me, of course, she can't see me here.

I can feel how my toes curl up when they start making their way here.

"Hey…uh…um." Barb sighs nervously. Is she having a panic attack? I'm forced to glance over my shoulder and see what is going on back there.

Can you guess?

There is another boy who is wearing sunglasses—at night.  Not another teenager choosing to disobey his parents. Are they even his parents because one can tell from his complexion; a rich brown, and he has dark curly hair.

From where I'm seated, he appears quite tall, taller than the mom—even when I'm not convinced it's their son. Bill and Sandy are both white, but he is not.

As though wearing shades is not enough to shock us all, he has headphones and I can hear the music from here.

Jesus, this dude.

He needs to be my inspiration, really because he gives off the 'I don't give a shit' vibe but keeps his mouth shut—some of us don't.

"Levi." Sandy taps his shoulder, and he removes the headphones. "His name is Levi, and please do remove those… I'm sorry Barb." Sandy turns to my mother.