Conquest

“That’s her, the superhero girl.”

I look up from my books to see two whispering teens pointing at me. As soon as our eyes meet their faces grow red and they swivel around behind a bookcase.

Smooth.

Shaking my head I turn back to my textbook. I’m at the library trying to study for a chemistry test tomorrow. Apparently even here I’m infamous as “that superhero girl.”

“Mind if I sit down?”

I look up once again from my studying to see David. He’s wearing jeans and a grey hoodie, a small paperback in hand.

“What are you doing here?” I ask as I clear away my backpack so he can sit down. David’s not the type I’d peg to be searching libraries in his free time. I always imagined he did stuff like skydiving or drag racing in his leisure.

“I came to visit you,” he says as he props his feet up on the table. He doesn’t fit in here against the oak bookshelves and cozy reading chairs. He looks like he belongs on a motorcycle or at a bar with his wild black hair and small scar running across cheek.

“Wait- er what? How’d you know I’d be here?”

David shrugs. “Deductive reasoning. You mentioned you had a chem test during a training session and I know you always come to the library to study. Since you usually don’t wake up till late I figured you come here around noon.”

I stare at him for a moment. “I’m not sure if that’s really creepy or sort of cool.”

“Cool, definitely cool. I am a great detective after all,” David nods as he offers me one of his award winning grins.

If it was anyone else I’d be a little unnerved at the fact he knew my daily schedule but it was David, and that’s just the way David was. He starts reading and I go back to my book.

If the there is 21.3 grams of carbon in a solution and you add 12.0 grams of…

BEEP.

I set down my book. So much for being studious…

“Is that what I think it is?” David grins as he tries to lean over my shoulder.

I pull out the small metal compact and look over the screen. “Yep, the Anthem Force Communicator. Looks like we have some trouble. “

David plops the book back on a nearby shelf. “I’m in.”

“Alright,” I smile, “You finally get to see the team in action.”

He doesn’t know what he’s getting himself into…

I sling my backpack over my shoulder and began running out of the library with David by my side. It’s time for “that superhero girl” to do her thing.

“All will tremble at the feet of Magnifico!” the villain shouts as he floats around the plaza. He’s wearing a black tuxedo and a purple mask, holding a magic wand in one hand. He sends purple bursts of magic at objects, turning them into monsters. Cars begin revving their engines by themselves and chasing their owners. Benches grow feet and teeth and try to eat the citizens. It’s complete chaos.

Magnifico is a B-list villain who we haven’t seen in a while. He specializes in magic, specifically animating objects and making things float. We might just stand a chance.

I screech into the plaza and jump out my car, taking a moment to survey the scene. Keith is the first to arrive, flying here all by himself, and Andy comes right after carrying Radley by his wrists.