Chapter 7

Day one. I met him.
Day two. I liked him.
Day three. I continued to like him.
By Day seven. I was deeply and madly in love.

It was the same air. The same field. The same grass. The same wind, setting, excitement and love. The same boy sat next to me. Our arms wrapped around our legs as we happily felt the wet grass between our toes. It scrubbed onto our damp skin and the feeling of sadness, loneliness and worry washed over both of our young, juvenile hearts.

Me and Tom sat in the field, it was the last day. The last day we would meet. The last day he was here. The last and only day I could tell him how I felt. Both of us sat in silence, thinking to ourselves. None of us knew if we'd ever meet again. If we'd ever bake together, laugh together, milk cows together, run in the field together. We didn't know.

His body was close to mine as our arms brushed against each other. Our faces were staring into the vast grassland ahead. Staring into the tall trees and the beautiful pink salmon sky.

He hadn't said anything. Neither did I. We sat there, the breeze brushing across our faces, small smiles making their way onto our lips.
He gulped.

I knew he was about to say something. After all this was goodbye.

"I'll miss you." He said. The softness in his voice, it was genuine. He was going to miss me.

"I'll miss you too." I replied back. I looked towards my left, a smile on my lips. He was already looking at me. A wider smile on his lips.

I'd miss that.
I'd miss his smile.

"I won't forget you." He said. He broke away his hand that was wrapped around his legs and placed it on my bare knee. His warmth now running through my body and his smile sending butterflies down my stomach.

"I won't forget you either." I answered. Not once breaking the smile. I placed one of my hands on his that was already on my knee.

I felt his body calm as he sighed.

I'd miss that.
I'd miss his calm.
I'd miss his love.

We smiled into each other, our eyes beaming. His curls flying into various directions, like every other time I was with him. His brown eyes so pure, like every other time I was with him. His smile so bright, like every other time I was with him. But his love.

It felt stronger.
It felt truthful.

I was in love. And I didn't deny it. I was just 13. Just a kid. Just a child. But I was in love. It wasn't a school girl crush. It was true love.

And I knew I had to tell him. I knew it was the right time. The right time to tell him how I really felt. That it wasn't a friendship. It was something else. Something more.

"Tom-" I began. Trying to find the right words to tell him how I felt. How my heart answered to his presence. How I had to tell him.

That I loved him.

I broke away our contact, looking down at the grass as my toes rested in the damp grass. His eyes were still fixated on my face. He tried to find some sort of sign to understand what I was coming at. But before I could say more-

"TOM! IT'S TIME WE HAVE TO GO!" I heard his Mom's voice call.

Shit.

"What?" He asked ignoring his mother's calls.
"I just-" I tried but I couldn't anymore. I was lost.
"TOM!" His mom yelled again.
"I think you should go." I said getting up from the grass.
"No this seems important, tell me." He said following my actions but not breaking contact with my face.
"I just, I wanted to tell you to have a safe trip back home." I lied. My heart shattered. I did this to myself.
"Oh." He said in response and looked towards the house as he heard his mom yell once again.
"Have a safe trip." I said once again leaning in and kissing his cheek.
He blushed slightly and held my hand.
"Thanks." He smiled and with that the two of us ran towards the house.